limited or no connectivity.... HELP!

Soldato
ok just around someones house, i have installed a SpeedTouch 580 wireless adsl gateway. it works fine on the pc. It's an AOL reday one (yeah i know AOL) i have set a 13 key password and fired up the laptop. It see's the wireless network and asks for the key. It takes the key and after mumbling about aquiring the network addresss, i get a 'limited or no connectivity'

any quick fire ideas guys?

Caporegime
Got the key wrong, entered the wrong type of key, using WPA on a machine that won't do it?
Limited or no connectivity just means it didn't get an answer from a DHCP server (ie the router). It isn't particularly meaningful on its own.

Associate
Not really ;)

If you have installed Windows XP Service Pack 2 and are experiencing any of the following symptoms, this bug is affecting your system.

After installing Windows XP SP2, your network connection reports a problem with "Limited or No Connectivity"

You have trouble connecting to the Internet or your local area network after installing Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Your network connection gets stuck "Acquiring IP Address"

Enjoy!! :)

Caporegime
hybrid said:
If you have installed Windows XP Service Pack 2 and are experiencing any of the following symptoms, this bug is affecting your system.

After installing Windows XP SP2, your network connection reports a problem with "Limited or No Connectivity"

You have trouble connecting to the Internet or your local area network after installing Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Your network connection gets stuck "Acquiring IP Address"

Er, absolute rubbish. If you switch off the DHCP server at the other end (or block access to it), you'll get that error, and that certainly isn't a Windows bug...
Try reading the article you're linking to for a start:

MS said:
On a computer that is running Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2), programs that connect to IP addresses that are in the loopback address range may not work as you expect. For example, you may receive an error message that says that you cannot establish a connection.

If you're trying to connect a wireless device to 127.0.0/24, you've got bigger issues.

Associate
haha well lets just see shall we?!

I've applied that patch on about 4 machines so far with exactly the same problem and guess what... it fixed it. :)

Back
Top Bottom