HELP! :) simple network

Associate
Hey

i havent set up a simple network for years. i want to have 1 hub 2 computers and 1 network pc no net and i wont even be sharing files its just to share the printer its a network printer. when i connect them up with a 5 port switch it says Limited or no con. do i need just a hub ? with normal routers u have dhcp so does the hub auto give them a ip or do i need to get a router for what i need to do or do i need to give the 2 computers a network IP address?

Thanks

dave

Caporegime
Mason64 said:
with normal routers u have dhcp

Quite, and a hub doesn't, so

so does the hub auto give them a ip

No.

or do i need to get a router for what i need to do or do i need to give the 2 computers a network IP address?

If you want them to be auto-assigned IPs, you'll need something with a DHCPd, but it doesn't have to be a router. The alternative is as you suggest, manually assigning them.

Bear in mind a hub isn't a switch, and if you've got the latter you don't need (or want) the former.

Associate
OP
So with this swtich i can put it all together and give say

PC 1 - 192.168.1.1

PC 2 - 192.168.1.1

and then find the Printers IP or just brower for the printer? if its on the same IP RANGE? or basiclly find what range the printer is on and follow that patten for the netowrk pc's?

Caporegime
They'd need to have unique IPs for starters.

and then find the Printers IP or just brower for the printer? if its on the same IP RANGE?

Yes. But it won't get an IP automatically any more than the PCs will.

basiclly find what range the printer is on and follow that patten for the netowrk pc's?

Well yeah, that would be sensible.

Back
Top Bottom