Setting up Media Center - help needed

Associate
I've got MCE 2005, although I've never really used it much as it wasn't really worth the hassle. However I've just ordered a TV tuner (family don't want me hogging the TV during the World Cup - plus I want to record the matches I miss at work), so I thought I'd have a go at setting it up.

Problem - any video file I try to open in it, I'll get a "Video Error - files needed to display video are not installed or not working correctly" message. It also doesn't play DVDs. I've tried looking at Microsoft's site, but support there is usually along these lines: "Q. I cannot display video. A. Windows MCE is obviously flawless. You are to blame and we have no intention of helping in any way".

I'm also just using the onboard graphics on my Shuttle SS56Gv3, if that's of any consequence.

Soldato
I think you need some MPEG2 decoders. From memory, the only ones that'll work are ones that are included with DVD Playing software, if you've got a copy of WinDVD or PowerDVD, whatever - try installing that and then giving it a go.

There are standalone MPEG2 codecs that I found when I had this problem, but I could only get it working by installing a DVD player.

Associate
You will need the appropriate codecs installed to play the files. What format are they?
As a general rule of thumb, if they play in wmp, they will play in wmc. Install a dvd decoder and the usual vxid/divx codecs and you should be playing almost everything in no time :)

Associate
OP
Cheers - the TV tuner (Leadtek DVT2000H) comes with a whole array of software including Power DVD, so I'll check them out when it arrives (hopefully tomorrow). At the moment I always use Media Player Classic, which plays pretty much anything I throw at it. I've always been annoyed at how Media Player doesn't have MPEG2 decoders as standard.

Soldato
Marmotta said:
I've always been annoyed at how Media Player doesn't have MPEG2 decoders as standard.
It's not really something Microsoft can be blamed for though. Imagine how irritated the people who make PowerDVD, WinDVD et al. would be if MS not only gave away but pre-installed something that makes their products unecessary.

Associate
OP
I installed PowerDVD, but still get the same message whenever I try to play a DVD or any other video file in Media Center :confused: Any idea as to what I can do?

Soldato
Marmotta said:
PowerDVD 6.

I ran the check and it says I have the CyberLink Video/SP Decoder and that its compatible with MP10 and MCE :confused:
How odd...

Try clicking set as default, and try watching a DVD in Windows Media Player. Maybe a reboot might help too, who knows.

Associate
OP
Yay! Problem solved. I tried the [pretty old] graphics card I just nicked from my parents' computer (they'll never notice ;) ) and it works just fine now. I hd a feeling it my have been something to do with the graphics card, as the last time I got it to work was ages ago before I sold my 9800XT. For some reason MCE just doesn't like the onboard graphics of my Shuttle.

Soldato
Marmotta said:
Yay! Problem solved. I tried the [pretty old] graphics card I just nicked from my parents' computer (they'll never notice ;) ) and it works just fine now. I hd a feeling it my have been something to do with the graphics card, as the last time I got it to work was ages ago before I sold my 9800XT. For some reason MCE just doesn't like the onboard graphics of my Shuttle.
True, you need MCE specific video card drivers, and only certain DX9 cards have these drivers. How did I forget to mention that? :p

Back
Top Bottom