Booting freezes sometimes after memory check - ASUS P4C800-E

Soldato
Recently I replaced some components in my machine (new power supply, new graphics card).

All has been fine, except I sometimes now get a freeze on bootup just after the memory check. The system hangs, and I have to do a power button reset.

After the reset, the system POSTs ok, does the RAID/IDE controller check ok, but then I get this message:

Overclocking Failed! Please enter Setup to re-configure your system.
Press F1 to Run SETUP
Press F2 to load default values and continue

If I press F1, my settings in the BIOS are correct, so I exit + reboot AGAIN and straight back into windows no problem.

If I press F2, my settings are lost and I need to change everything again.

Any ideas why this happens?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
My system spec:

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
Antec 400W Smartpower PSU
Intel 3.2Ghz P4
Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS 512MB
2GB Corsair Ram
1 x Raptor 74GB
2 x Maxtor Diamondmax 10 300GB (non-Raid)
DVD drive, TV card, E-MU 0404 soundcard

Not overclocked at all

Last edited:
Soldato
I still have the same mobo. Reason you get this message is either:

1: You are not running the FSB @ 200 and using an overclocked profile like 15% 25% 30% etc etc.

2: Your Ram is not correctly set to detect that it is DDR400.

3: You have enabled a combination of the CPU & or FSB multiplier which your mobo cannot handle.

Easiest way to resolve this is ensure your CPU is set to the correct x 16 multiplier & Ram is set to DDR400 (not auto as that can force a higher FSB than the mobo can handle without other tweaking.

The reason you are getting the error message is because the Bios is resetting to a safe performance level as it cannot POST with your current config.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the reply

Everything is set at default though, and this has always been the case since I first bought the motherboard, its been booting fine for several months.

One thing I did do recently on a system re-install (I changed the graphics card + PSU at that time too) was to remove + reseat all the components, including the BIOS battery. Do you think if I try reseating everything again that might help?

Another thing as you said it might be the problem with BIOS settings - everything is default - but I'm not sure about the 'overclock' page in the BIOS - this is set to whatever the default is (auto I think) - should I change this to use manual settings?

Associate
Try reseating your components and check that you have everything connected up properly. Another solution might be to flash to the lastest bios for your motherbaord.

Soldato
caff said:
Thanks for the reply

Everything is set at default though, and this has always been the case since I first bought the motherboard, its been booting fine for several months.

One thing I did do recently on a system re-install (I changed the graphics card + PSU at that time too) was to remove + reseat all the components, including the BIOS battery. Do you think if I try reseating everything again that might help?

Another thing as you said it might be the problem with BIOS settings - everything is default - but I'm not sure about the 'overclock' page in the BIOS - this is set to whatever the default is (auto I think) - should I change this to use manual settings?
Make sure the overclocking setting is NOT Auto as that forces it to detect higher speed Ram (if you have it).

Also, I seem to remember that this mobo has a Bios overwrite protect function in one of its Bios sub menus to prevent viruses from damaging it so ensure that allows you to make changes & save them by disabling it until you are happy with the config.

Soldato
OP
AWPC said:
Make sure the overclocking setting is NOT Auto as that forces it to detect higher speed Ram (if you have it).

Also, I seem to remember that this mobo has a Bios overwrite protect function in one of its Bios sub menus to prevent viruses from damaging it so ensure that allows you to make changes & save them by disabling it until you are happy with the config.

That sounds like a good idea - I'll try reseating everything + doing what you've suggested, ta.

Soldato
OP
Ok I tried everything suggested - reseated everything including CPU, all hard disk cables etc.

I changed performance settings to 'manual' and 'standard' and put everything to standard speed.

Now this is really odd - once I set manual clock settings, it won't detect my main hard disk (the WD Raptor on SATA). No loose cables. I have to clear the CMOS by removing battery and then it shows up again? Every time I change the performance settings to manual the same thing happens.

Maybe the PSU is underpowered? It's the one thing I did change recently (went from 480W to 400W cos the old one blew up)

Associate
i think it might be your PSU, the antec smartpower PSU's imho are crap, i built a computer for my bro's at christmas and got them an antec sonata case and the 400w/450w (<--- cant remember which it was) caused all sorts of problems and couldnt power thier system at all it kept shutting off every 2 hours or so and sometimes wouldnt turn on at all.

The systems spec is:
3500+
Epox mobo
1gb geil value ram
7800gt 256mb

thier system is less powerful than yours. Then again it could always be something else but i would try and see if u can get a hold of a different PSU and try it in your system just to be certain.

Soldato
OP
Hmm, problem sorted by the looks of things. I changed over the SATA cables with some others I had laying about, now the drives are showing / initialising fine, and with manual clock settings, hence several perfect boot ups. I guess the cables were slightly loose after being plugged/unplugged a few times.

The people who designed SATA connectors and cables should be beaten roughly with a spade.

Back
Top Bottom