Monthly food spend

Soldato
Just came to the end of my second year of uni. I was going through the bank statements and I spent a whopping average of £750 per month on FOOD.

This seems too high, and my parents weren't too happy, what do you guys spend and any tips to cut down?

Thanks,

Sam

Soldato
:eek: Wtf? Do you eat takeaways for breakfast, lunch and dinner?

Seriously, buy a cookbook and work your way through it, getting the ingredients from Tescos/Asda/Local Market/Wherever is cheap.

In my house, theres three of us (I cook) and I'd say it costs about ~£250-£300 a month for all of us, Breakfasts (cooked) and Dinners.

Last edited:

Bes

Bes

Soldato
laissez-faire said:
Just came to the end of my second year of uni. I was going through the bank statements and I spent a whopping average of £750 per month on FOOD.

This seems too high, and my parents weren't too happy, what do you guys spend and any tips to cut down?

Thanks,

Sam
Jesus H Christ! I thought I was bad at around £200 per month for myself! Thats about £25 A DAY!!!!!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
£40-£50 a week. Helps if you go without a shopping list and make meals out of whatever's on BOGOF. Last week I bought chicken breasts, salmon and king prawns all on buy one get one free. All you need is a range of sauces and side dishes and you can make all sorts of stuff. Tonight it's salmon, couscous and ratatouille, total cost about £2.50. You don't have to buy cheap crap to save money, although it looks like you've been surviving on fillet steak and caviar judging by your budget. :p

Man of Honour
About £40 per week between two of us plus I will spend about 40 quid on myself in booze and a curry/pizza on a night out. WTF are you eating? :eek:

As for cutting down, off to Lidl or Aldi with ya and don't buy crap.

Mat

Mat

Soldato
Do what my uni housemates friend did; spend your whole grant on a stereo, eat porridge oats and nothing else as you have no money and end up getting scurvy! Genius... :rolleyes:

Soldato
Whoah...wait....OP...does that include booze money, being a student and all?

laissez-faire said:
I usually skipped breakfast, bought lunch from Tescos and then went out for a meal in the evening... I bought a microwave curry once but other than that I didn't cook anything.

Aye, there you go. Buy a good set of cooking equipment, a good thick cookbook and pillage that instead....and...learn to make some chocolate cake that will almost kill you with a cocoa overdose, Death by chocolate is a good one. The girls will love you for it. ;)

Soldato
Mat said:
Do what my uni housemates friend did; spend your whole grant on a stereo, eat porridge oats and nothing else as you have no money and end up getting scurvy! Genius... :rolleyes:

He didn't eet any fruit or vegetables, at all!

£25 a day! In would check that your house mates are not taking your food as you put it in, so when you go back to the cupboard there isn't anything in there so you then have to go shopping again, thinking that you dreamed about it.

^confusing.

Associate
laissez-faire said:
I usually skipped breakfast, bought lunch from Tescos and then went out for a meal in the evening... I bought a microwave curry once but other than that I didn't cook anything.

Don't you think going out for meals every night is slightly excessive? Do your parents think you're cooking for yourself?

Back
Top Bottom