Toilet not flushing, how do you adjust it? (pic)

Soldato
Yo!

What a strange topic this one is :p

But anyway, the toilet wont flush unless you turn the handle at insane speeds, instead of the usual turn and it flushes.

I noticed the water is not rising high enough in the cistern bit, but I don't know which to adjust to make the level drop?

I need the big red float thing to go down more I think...

Any ideas?

Heres a pic lol

Toilet.jpg

Soldato
OP
Hi mate, the only thing I can see that is adjustable on it, is a small metal nut on the end of the arm.

If thats the case, is it tighten it to the left or the right to bring the float down?

Soldato
OP
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies so far,

I had gathered that I needed the ballcock to go down, as by pressing on the arm, I could see the water filling.

But its a question of how I get to move it down, the wire seems almost like it wouldnt be adjustable?

Caporegime
SeanyK said:
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies so far,

I had gathered that I needed the ballcock to go down, as by pressing on the arm, I could see the water filling.

But its a question of how I get to move it down, the wire seems almost like it wouldnt be adjustable?

for it to go down, the water has to go first. pick up the ballcock. Then turn the little valve... slowly to adjust.

Soldato
If the adjusting bolt/nut is at it's maximum setting then you can bend the metal arm too if you're careful.

Metal arm between the inlet valve and the inlet valve float is the one I am referring to.

EDIT - Rechecked pics and yours is plastic. It looks as if you can adjust the float aswell as the inlet valve.

Soldato
toilet1mv.jpg

You need to make an adjustment where the arrow is to allow the ballcock to rise higher before shutting off the inflow, therefore giving you more water in the cistern.

With the spanner on top of the nut, turn it towards you. This should effectively shortern the float arm allowing the ballcock to rise higher.

From the sound of it your flush problem is more likely to be a damaged diaphram in the syphon. However, to check this you'll need to find out how to remove the big plastic bit attached to the flush handle (I think it's called the bell-housing, stop sniggering at the back!). Without a better picture it would be hard to explain how to do this. I'd advise googling or getting a DIY book from the library/bookshop.

Soldato
Tesla said:
No you don't.

It's obvious.

Surely you do? The ballcock needs to go higher before it cuts off the flow of water. Having the ballcock lower would cut the flow with less water in the cistern.

What Nelson has said looks right to me.

Back
Top Bottom