N00b question

Soldato
I've currently got a 40gig 7,200rpm jobbie in my machine but as you'd expect this is pretty full.

I just want to add another HDD on the cheap for some additional space. I'll probably be looking to go second hand as I'm not to bothered as it's just going to be used for music and such. What exactly should I be looking for? :confused:

I take it any HDD will just slot in? (IDE - about the extent of my HDD knowledge :o (and even then I'm not 100%!)). I'm not looking for anything fancy like RAID etc.

Cheers for your help :)

Last edited:
Permabanned
You need to know what type of drive you need, depending on the age of the machine it will probably be an IDE drive, i which case you can pick up a new maxtor 80gb for £30 or 160 GB for £45.

Its then a matter of connecting it to an existing cable in the machine (ide cables have 3 connectors one connects to the motherboard the 2 to drives either HDD or CD/DVD) if you only have 1 HDD at the moment then there should be a spare connector.

Plug in the ide cable and the power connector and away you go

EDIT: You will need to set the jumpers on the back of the drive to slave (there will be instructions on the drive for doing this)

Soldato
OP
Cheers, yeah I'm positive that it's IDE that I need and I've spotted the Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 80GB on ocuk for £30 which is a lot cheaper than I though brand new :p (It's been a while since I payed any attention to PC bits :o)

This would be fine then I take it? might just go ahead a get one of these if they're that cheap. :)

Back
Top Bottom