Car registration not matching car!?!?

Soldato
I'm about to buy a car (or at least was about to...) but when I checked the insurance, a completely different car came up when I put the registration in.

If I check the RAC vehicle checker, that also comes up as a different car.

When I went to look at the car, it all seemed fine. Its from a garage, has a V5 (old style though). The garage just got the car delivered today (it wasn't even cleaned!) and they said they wont sell it until they get all the documentation from the previous owner.

The registration is R256 BRW, which comes up on RAC as a Silver Rover 825 Diesel. The car I was going to buy is a Purple Rover 200vi.

Now I'm having problems understanding why the reg would be wrong. Is it possible that the registration was bought as a private plate and transferred to this car. In that case, wouldn't the owner have a new style V5.

Then if someone was trying to clone a car, why would you use a registration from a completely different car.

Fortunately I havent put any money down yet. Thing it, its a quite rare car and it was exactly what we're looking for, at the right price.

I'm going to talk to the garage tomorrow. Possibly they dont even know yet that the reg doesn't match the car.

Just wondering if anyone can think of any reason why the reg wouldn't match the car. :confused:

Soldato
Sounds a bit suspicious.

I thought everyone got an updated V5 sent through last year, I know we did for both our cars. So they certainly shouldnt have an old style one.

Speak to the guy at the garage and go from there, at least you havent parted with any cash yet.

Did you get chance to see the V5? Is it the same reg on the V5?

Fog

Last edited:
Man of Honour
HPI checked it?

Old style V5's are now useless. The new V5 has totally replaced it and everyone should now have one.

Associate
I had this with my old civic, I would put in the reg RF54 GLV and would come up with a 1994 civic 1.5 or something, but would double check if they don't have the new style V5.

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox said:
HPI checked it?

Old style V5's are now useless. The new V5 has totally replaced it and everyone should now have one.
I was going to do a hpi check, but I did the RAC one first, and that doesn't match that car.

If I do a hpi check on that registration, wont it just give me a hpi check for a completely different car. :confused:

Soldato
The DVLA's own page also has that reg as a silver Rover

click

The enquiry is complete

The vehicle details for R256 BRW are:

Date of Liability 01 11 2006
Date of First Registration 20 11 1997
Year of Manufacture 1997
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 2675CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Heavy Oil
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Licence Not Due
Vehicle Colour SILVER

Last edited:
Soldato
Tomsk said:
The DVLA's own page also has that reg as a silver Rover

click

The enquiry is complete

The vehicle details for R256 BRW are:

Date of Liability 01 11 2006
Date of First Registration 20 11 1997
Year of Manufacture 1997
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 2675CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Heavy Oil
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Licence Not Due
Vehicle Colour SILVER

Showing as it being taxed aswell... (so still being used on silver rover)

I know when I got my new car, the site was updated the day I got my V5 come through for it, same for when I got SORN *done in post office for ease* it shown up a day or so later :) - So it should now be registering if private plate, thats been transfered, on the right car/right details already...

I would walk away tbh...

What should people do when they find a dodgy car by the way? :confused: just walk away and leave it as that or not? Inform police/dealer/whoever or? :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well, I'm going to phone the garage today. I can't imagine a garage would try and sell a dodgey car.

I'm guessing they dont know that the reg doesn't match the car. They only got the car delivered yesterday, so they might not of checked yet.

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox said:
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH comedy gold.
Why? :confused:

If this car is stolen, etc then whoever buys it will fill in the V5, send it off and probably get a letter back saying its stolen. Then you phone the police and report the garage, they get done. You loose your money, but at least you know who's got it.

Its not like a private sale where the seller can dissapear after the sale.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
kitten_caboodle said:
Be very careful - it could be a cloned car, though it seems strange that the plates wouldn't be taken off when they got rid of the car :confused:
What I dont understand is why they would have used plates of a completely different car. If you were going to clone it, wouldn't you be using plates of a at least the same model and colour car. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom