first shot from my 2nd hand 300D

Associate
IMG_3775.jpg

IMG_3777.jpg

I know little about photography and I had a play around with the 300D :p

so, is the camera ok? I bought it off another member from here today and I asked him to show me how to use it but it seems he knows very little about it too :)

China

Soldato
Although the 300D is one of the older cameras these days its still capable of producing some awesome shots!

Do you mind if I ask how much you paid and what else came with the camera, lenses, memory etc. Obviosuly dont tell me where it was from, I am looking at getting a DSLR and I dont have much spare money so I think the 300D would do me just fine :)

Associate
OP

bag, shouder/neck strap

standard lens and a 256MB CF card.

charger and usb lead

1x battery

no box no instruction

camera body perfect. no history or receipt therefore the posted shot above to let you guys check :)

Caporegime
Mate im very jealous, did you get that from HEADRAT perchance? I had my eye on that at one point. :D

In my opinion Canon make the best cameras bar none, I get awesome quality close-ups even on my lowly 4MP Canon A80. The twisty LCD screen has let me take some amazing pics.

Only thing to do is practise practise practise! Oh, and get a 2GB CF for £35 if you look around, you'll need the space!

I can't wait till Canon make a DSLR with LCD viewfinder. :D

Soldato
Richdog said:
I can't wait till Canon make a DSLR with LCD viewfinder. :D

Optical viewfinder >>>> lcd viewfinder

Once you have used an optical viewfinder on an SLR of any type, its very difficult to go back to the digital graininess of a LCD (or EVF) viewfinder. Besides, holding the lens to your eye is so much better for holding it steady etc. :)

Chinaman, that camera looks ok to me.

If you want advice about taking better pics, just ask on here and I'm sure loads of people will be willing to help. :)

Caporegime
Joe T said:
Optical viewfinder >>>> lcd viewfinder

Oh I know that, I used SLR for years... but it would be impossible to take some of the shots i've taken without one. Of course the picture accuracy is not as great, but some of the photos you can take with a twisty LCD are best described as "stunts".

What's the harm in having an LCD on a DLSR... it's not as though it loses the optical is it? Flexibility > no flexibility... and photography is all about flexibility for me, I like having lots of options as this means my chances of taking unique and exciting pics are greater. :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
nolimit said:
use the budget(development cost) to improve the buffer, build quality and battery life, etc etc!! NO NO LCD

That's entirely down to opinion. And besides, you already do get those qualities in a high-end SLR, whether it has an LCD or not...

Associate
e.g which would you rather have:

Canon is developing successor to Canon 350D:

Upgrade

Option 1: include LCD viewfinder

Option2: Sealed body

Option3: 8 FPS

I would rather see option 2 & 3 going into the development cost rather then Option 1.
Obiviously all 3 option can be included but thats gonna push the price of the camera even more.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Listen mate i'm not saying I want an LCD on a DSLR at the expense of everything else, i'm just saying I want an LCD on a DSLR at it helps me take some shots that I would struggle doing without it. No need to make a meal of it... ;)

Soldato
A 3rd party company make an LCD screen device that you can fit onto any DSLR optical viewfinder, it retails for approx £100.
It's not great quality but then neither are the screens on Point and Shoots anyway :)

Olympus also make a D-SLR with a live LCD preview but that’s not great either.

Caporegime
SDK^ said:
A 3rd party company make an LCD screen device that you can fit onto any DSLR optical viewfinder, it retails for approx £100.
It's not great quality but then neither are the screens on Point and Shoots anyway :).

Interesting, got any linky please mate? :)

Soldato
SDK^ said:
It's not great quality but then neither are the screens on Point and Shoots anyway :)

Olympus also make a D-SLR with a live LCD preview but that’s not great either.
Yeah I saw that. Technically, it's not a dSLR anymore is it?

Associate
OP
The lcd add on will be usefull if a high to low angle is needed, ie wedding table and needed to take picture of the table and everyone around.

Stand on a chair and look down or have a mono pod extended and lcd finder showing the pic in mid air. I had my wedding recently and the photographer used that.

I will download the instructions later, can't work out a lot of the buttons as I never use a SLR before.

China

Caporegime
wez130 said:
google 'zigview', it attatches to the eyepiece on your dslr and shows you the view.

Thanks man *reads*. heh that is a neat little gadget, I think in a revision or two if they boost the quality it could be a piece of kit worth having. Quite a high price though... :)

nolimit said:

Way to spoil a nice thread with a pointless mini-post, keep going old chap. ;)

Back
Top Bottom