Chelsea to suffer Champions League snub

Man of Honour
Such a well put together and reasoned argument
icon14.gif

No-one can argue that.

Soldato
It's done over the last 5 years.
Chelsea have only been in it the last 3 years, and gone further than Arsenal twice in that time.
Looking at it in the most simplest of ways, Arsenal have therefore gone further than Chelsea in 3 of thelast 5 years of the champions league.
That is why they are seeded ahead of them.

Don
Uefa rankings for CL

FC Barcelona (TH) Esp 127.006
AC Milan Ita 129.020
Real Madrid Esp 120.006
Internazionale Ita 112.020
Juventus Ita 107.020
Liverpool Eng 105.950
Arsenal Eng 101.950
Manchester United Eng 100.950
Olympique Lyon Fra 89.757
FC Porto Por 87.533
PSV Eindhoven Ned 81.640
Bayern München Ger 80.960
Chelsea Eng 79.950

Last edited:
Don
I didn't post Everton's coefficient figure , sorry

if anyone can tell me how to get a Red numeric font then I will do it for you :D

Soldato
Gilly said:
How are manyoo so close to Arsenal? Haven't they crashed out at the group stage the last few years?

Man Utd

2000 - Quarter Final
2001 - Quarter Final
2002 - Semi Final
2003 - Quarter Final
2004 - Last 16
2005 - Last 16
2006 - Group Stage :(

Arsenal

2000 - First Group Stage
2001 - Quarter Final
2002 - Second Group Stage
2003 - Second Group Stage
2004 - Quarter Final
2005 - Last 16
2006 - Final (Losers)

Chelsea

2000 - Quarter Final
2001 -
2002 -
2003 -
2004 - Semi Final
2005 - Semi Final
2006 - Last 16

Liverpool

2000 -
2001 -
2002 - Quarter Final
2003 - First Group Stage
2004 -
2005 - Final (Winners)
2006 - Last 16

Newcastle

2003 - Second Group Stage

Leeds

2001 - Semi Final

Last edited:
Soldato
Round of 16 sounds silly, so I've renamed it to last 16.

Gilly said:
Round of 16. Is that what used to be the 2nd group stage?

I forgot they'd done away with the 2nd group stage, thats what I meant.

Basically yeah.

Man of Honour
manyoo really do have some improving to do in Europe then. Without those earlier years they'd be well down on the rest.

The comments about Scholes that taggart made today I'd find distressing if I was a fan. It says to me he's not looking to replace him, which is a massive worry.

They also need a top-class forward if Ruud is off, and they need a top-class centre mid too.

What they have at the moment they can get by in the prem with, but they're just not good enough for Europe.

Tony Soprano said:
Basically yeah.
:)

Soldato
Ferguson ***** me off every time he opens his mouth. Scholes has been past it for the last four years, even he knew it, that's part of the reason he retired from international football. He had a brief good spell this season, but not enough to warrant him being in the first team. There is no replacement for him in line either. So that'll be two central midfielders we need to get. Keane and Scholes have been our anchors in midfield for the last 10 years. And Ferguson is too busy putting faith in players like O'Shea and Fletcher.

You are 100% right about not cutting it in Europe anymore, I'd put that down to a combination of tactics and poor choices for the first team. Ferguson has also let the team age like with Giggs, Scholes, Keane, G.Neville.

I actually wish the Glazers would step in and tell him to go back to Scotland and bring Fletcher with him along with his brother (our Chief Scout) and his son (the main Agent for our youth team players). Too much has let slip in the last few years and it's come to a head this season firstly with Keane, then Ruud and the other members of staff who are unsettled at how easily our team doctor was forced out because he made Ferguson look bad.

Man of Honour
You'd think that one of the controlling parties would be saying something. I mean, we (us members here) have been saying for years that he needs to replace Keane. He never did it (the closest he got was signing Liam Miller - and he's been on loan to a relegated Leeds side, hardly the type of player you want captaining a side thats pushing for domestic and European glory) and now Keane has gone there's simply no drive in midfield.

You have Ronaldo and Rooney in the side, who are young and IMO pretty much the best in the country at what they do. i don't think there's a player as naturally gifted as Rooney in linking the play in England, and I don't think there's anyone with feet quicker than Ronaldo - he just needs to work on his end product. You have Ruud who was benched for half a season and in Saha you have a good Prem striker who has never been good enough to do it at European level.

Simply put, its drifted away from the class they had. O'Shea and Fletcher in the middle of the park? Behave. They've a Chelsea side that IMO is the best the Prem has ever seen (on paper at least) with the additions they've made so far this year, and you've the weakest manyoo midfield for well over a decade. Thats not a great pairing.

Its going to take a lot to get it back to how it was.

Back
Top Bottom