Page file on a Different Drive?

Associate
Hi, I recently found out an old drive which i put in my PC to test it, but lazy as i am ive just left it in there. The drive is quite old now (not sure of its exact age) and its only 2gb. I run Hd tach on the drive and it come up with 9.8mb/s :eek:
Would there be any point in putting my pagefile on the drive or would it be better leaving it on my Primary 120gb hdd?

If its no good for a pagefile any other uses for the drive that maybe gain performance? Sorry if this is a noob question Hard Drives arn't my strong point

Thanks in advance

Associate
Normally putting a page file on a different physical drive from windows+programs is a good idea, but with a drive that slow, it'll only slow things down, so don't bother.
I'm afraid I really can't think of any way a 2gb drive (which is what, about 10 years old?) can be used to improve performance. :(

I suppose you could use it as a sort-of backup drive, but I wouldn't want to trust a drive that old.

Associate
BEn_2600+ said:
Hi, I recently found out an old drive which i put in my PC to test it, but lazy as i am ive just left it in there. The drive is quite old now (not sure of its exact age) and its only 2gb. I run Hd tach on the drive and it come up with 9.8mb/s :eek:
Would there be any point in putting my pagefile on the drive or would it be better leaving it on my Primary 120gb hdd?

If its no good for a pagefile any other uses for the drive that maybe gain performance? Sorry if this is a noob question Hard Drives arn't my strong point

Thanks in advance
No, definitely don't do that.

A hard disk that only does 9.8MB/s is basically worthless... whether as a data storage (seeing as 2GB is very little difference anyway, not to mention very high chance of a hard disk drive death) or as a swap-file drive. It's just too slow and old to be worth anything.

Time for it to go to recycling or whatever other approved method of disposal, methinks!

Associate
OP
Hi, No lol im not really going to destroy it, i think i might use it like you say as a download box. I'm not going to use it as backup its rather old now dont know how reliable it will be. But my downloads dont have to be all that secure can always get them again ;) :)

Thanks for the idea Messiah Khan :)

Ben

Back
Top Bottom