Voluntary redundancy ?

Associate
Sorry to post another 'what should I do with my life' thread, but I need some opinions on this..
I've been with BT for 18 years, and my job is repairing payphones, multimedia kiosks and the phone system used by prison inmates as well as the occasional openzone site. However the payphone business is dying due to mobile phones, and we are having large cuts in our workforce - we are told that the payphone business will be dead within 2 to 3 years.
I have the opportunity to take 18 months pay if I choose voluntary redundancy, but I have to make the decision by Monday :eek: I really don't know what to do - I'm 41, recently divorced and have no mortgage as I'm currently renting. I'm tempted to take the money and try to retrain in something (currently only got a couple of A levels and an ONC in electronics), but the easier option would be to stay where I am until BT eventually transfers me to another department (likely to be something I don't want to do, I've done overhead work in the past and hated it).
Any ideas, oh wise overclockers community ? :confused:

Man of Honour
if I where you I would be scouring, newspapers, large company websites, job sites for stuff you can do and stuff you could fairly easily train in.
You have some electronics qualification (no idea whats what though) and plenty of electronic experiance.
18months pay is very tempting, if you can find out about some possible jobs before monday that would be a good start. I dont mean apply for jobs just know whats out there and whats required.

Soldato
18 months seems like a decent payoff, even though it would be harder for you to get a job than if you were younger, i'm sure you could find something you liked in 18 months :)

just remember to save as much money as possible from the payout!

Soldato
I would say that at your age, you are fine for finding another job. However, in a few years time - nearing 50, it will be very much harder. I've seen this with both of my parents, anyway.

So, if at the moment, you have nothing tying you down, then take the money and find something else. If you were to stay working at BT in a job you wouldn't want to be doing, then if they do lay you off in a few years time anyway, you'll be right up the creek.

Permabanned
Is there anyway you can apply the skills you have now to the VoIP market?

The VoIP market is pretty much cutting edge imo and probably useful for anyone with some communications expertise. Might be useful to read up on it all as well as training in something new.

Something totally random and off track what about learning to be a driving instructor or something? With age comes experience etc and thats beneficial I would say in driving.

Just a random thought.

Associate
Hate said:
18 months seems like a decent payoff, even though it would be harder for you to get a job than if you were younger, i'm sure you could find something you liked in 18 months :)

just remember to save as much money as possible from the payout!

Certainly does seem a respectable payout. 41 is nothing, what do you fancy doing?

Soldato
I would say take the money, have a holiday then go find yourself another job. You shouldn't have any problems at all, you've got an ONC in electronics and years of 'real' experience fixing things.

Man of Honour
they always seem to need people to fix things like ATM machines and install survailence/communication equipment for large companies..

Associate
AcidHell2 said:
they always seem to need people to fix things like ATM machines and install survailence/communication equipment for large companies..

Good point, my wife's brother fixes ATMs (installs now I think) and by all accounts it's a pretty interesting and varied job. Given that they are telephony based (I assume) shouldn't be a great leap from what you currently do.

Soldato
Grab it with both hands IMHO, you've got at least 24 years left working and you've been given golden oppurtunity, you could retrain to do absolutely anything you wanted.

Remember as well that £30000 of the redundancy payment is tax-free so you're going to be able to live like you were working for 2 odd years ;)

HEADRAT

Last edited:
Soldato
sounds like a good package - i'd say go for it and then take a bit a bit of time out and then get looking for a new job. plenty out there and see it as a new start in your life.

Soldato
wozzizname said:
Sorry to post another 'what should I do with my life' thread, but I need some opinions on this..
I've been with BT for 18 years, and my job is repairing payphones, multimedia kiosks and the phone system used by prison inmates as well as the occasional openzone site. However the payphone business is dying due to mobile phones, and we are having large cuts in our workforce - we are told that the payphone business will be dead within 2 to 3 years.
I have the opportunity to take 18 months pay if I choose voluntary redundancy, but I have to make the decision by Monday :eek: I really don't know what to do - I'm 41, recently divorced and have no mortgage as I'm currently renting. I'm tempted to take the money and try to retrain in something (currently only got a couple of A levels and an ONC in electronics), but the easier option would be to stay where I am until BT eventually transfers me to another department (likely to be something I don't want to do, I've done overhead work in the past and hated it).
Any ideas, oh wise overclockers community ? :confused:

Take the money and get your class one.

Soldato
Yep got out of the Medway Towns in 1993 and have never looked back, funny enough I'm coming down to Rochester tomorrow to see some friends (I hear it's Dicken's Festival time of year).

HEADRAT

Back
Top Bottom