Custom PC mags readers drive..

Associate
After seeing this months readers drives in CPC (the PC built into an aluminium tool box / flight case) I'm feeling inspired to create a similar version for myself but with a TFT monitor inside the lid too.

Has anyone tried this before? Can you run a TFT from a standard PSU supply (most say 12v and 0.6W - which I think means about 7A if I remember my physics correctly..).

The internals spec would be something like a cheap 939 socket, ASUS mATX, 2x512 MB, cheapish graphics card (the monitor native res will determine which one.. I'm thinking x800 GTO2 at the moment).

Why do I need this type of kit? I travel quite a bit on business (in a car) and have a company laptop but I do get bored not being able to play games. A decent gaming laptop is £1000+ and is not upgradable *and* I don't need it to run of batteries (most hotels have mains power!) or fit onto my lap.. just fit onto a desk in a hotel room.

Any tips for this? or alternate cases with integrated "decent" size TFTs?

Soldato
Never attempted what your trying, but Rilot mounted a monitor next to his hdd's in his case, (check the case gallery) and it had a habbit of killing hard drives.

Just something to remember, you may have to sheild them somehow.

Soldato
Take one apart and see. :p

This one may be one to be posted in Monitors about, someone there, cough Baddass cough, will probably know.

I have no idea how laptops do it, they may just have some metal between them and the monitor, or as they are not right next to the monitor the hard drives may be ok.

No idea on that one, but try making a thread in monitors.

Back
Top Bottom