Excel help

Associate
I am trying to create a read-only document. It is going to be sent to a few users but I don't want it's content changed by those users. However I would like to be able to change the content if necessary.

Does that sense :confused:

Thanks chaps.

Associate
Voy06 said:
I am trying to create a read-only document. It is going to be sent to a few users but I don't want it's content changed by those users. However I would like to be able to change the content if necessary.

Does that sense :confused:

Thanks chaps.

Go, "File", "Save As", select "tools" across the top right and then "General Options" from that pull down menu. Type your passord in the "Password to moddify" box and hit ok. Should ask you to then reconfirm password.

File can then only be changed if you open it with the password, without it file will be read only.

BA

Soldato
I believe that method prevents you from saving the file over itself from excel, but you could change any of the cells and 'save as' another filename. Then overwrite the original from windows and hey presto... file changed.

the more secure way is to lock the cells with a password. By going to tools / protection / protect workbook and entering a password users are unable to change any cells in the sheet.

This method also allows you to unlock some cells but keep others locked, thus allowing users to enter values into tables etc if required.

Regards

Back
Top Bottom