How can I run IPX over TCP/IP

Associate
I am trying to run Red Alert 2 over the uni network but it uses IPX/SPX. I have installed IPX/SPX on all the computers and we are all running battlelan but the game still does not work.

Is there anyway of running IPX over TCP/IP. If anyone can point in the right direction I would be really greatfull.

Thanks

Soldato
It is possible that the ports are blocked by your uni network admin so as to stop people doing this. It is not uncommon.

Soldato
It depends upon your universities network, if you are all in the same subnet then you might get away with it but even then it is still possible to block it. If you arent in the same subnet then its very unlikely you could play this game directly over the network. With the right equipment you could possibly setup an L2TP VPN where its *possible* to do it, but it wouldnt be very easy to setup and wouldnt be a cheap option. I dont know exactly how to do it, but it should theoretically be possible with an L2TP VPN.

TBH I'd either try and get you all into the same room or choose a different game.

Soldato
UnknownSoldier said:
Well its turns out that we are on the same subnet mask (255.0.0.0) but its still not working.

Any ideas on what setting I should use within the game?

@Bigboy: All other games play fine. I think its a problem with IPX/SPX protocol

Whats the first octet of your IP addresses? Are they all the same? ie 10.x.x.x by any chance? Dont worry 10.x.x.x is an RFC 1918 address and is only locally significant.

Soldato
I have had this problem before. What you need to do is make sure red alert is using the right network card.

In the options you can pick from a list of network cards. It will pick up any network card, firewire port etc and list them all.

Goto command prompt and type ipconfig /all you want the physical address of your main network card and make sure that is the one selected in the options

Nikumba

Soldato
You sure IPX traffic is enabled? My university recently turned off IPX on all their systems so something might be blocking it? I think it was a general JANET policy change.

Soldato
afraser2k said:
You sure IPX traffic is enabled? My university recently turned off IPX on all their systems so something might be blocking it? I think it was a general JANET policy change.

They are all on the same subnet so it should work as the switch should automatically work with IPX, would be different if there were routers in the way. That brings the problem down to a problem on the PCs or the university switches are actively blocking IPX traffic. I'd suggest that you check your PCs out, do you actually have IPX/SPX installed on your PCs? As its not installed by default with windows XP.

Soldato
Simple test, get the two pcs in the same room, mini hub and see if they can talk to each other... play red alert.

If it works then it is nothing to do with either PC, network card, game etc... It is the uni network.

Deleted member 58846

D

Deleted member 58846

Red Alert 2 is an ipx protocol game for LAN, To enable it you need to just add the protocol in the network properties on the NIC, make sure that in the game you check settings.

Red Alert 2 > Options > network > select the correct network card from the list from the drop down bar.

You may need to do this on all pcs playing the game.

Associate
I've had an issue before, when trying to play worms 2 over a network, using IPX. From what I can remember it was affected somehow by directx versions, and they all had to be the same (god knows why).

Probably won't help, but something to try.

jonc

Back
Top Bottom