World Superbikes - Silverstone - 56K Beware!

Soldato
Hi all,

Went to watch the bike racing at Silverstone over the weekend. To cut a long story sort my mate had a lot of his camera equipment stolen on the Friday night before racing! The scumbags didnt get away with his Canon IS F4 300mm lens so I used that rather than my Canon 100-300.

These are a few of the 300 odd pics I took. I've not done anything besides crop them. First time shooting bikes but I'm quite happy with the shots although it was difficult taking most of them as I was balanced ontop of a wire fence lol

Please C&C as needed I'm a learner :)

Cheers,
Neil.

3f732b61.jpg

693ea0a4.jpg

c8ef23b0.jpg

bc788cda.jpg

Soldato
OP
d59dc983.jpg

This one is to give an idea of that the lens and 350D can do even in my hands!

Full shot!

64bb17a5.jpg

100% Crop!

efef6222.jpg

I'll get some more posted when they've converted (takes AGES!!!)

Soldato
Sure does mate. Ive just been doing some of mine from the weekend (gonna post in the motors forum, as they arent particularly artisitc or anything).

Youve got some pretty good shots there. Perhaps a few need a little more cropping. I liek that first one expecially, thats a great capture. I also like number 4. Its a shame you werent inside the circuit though.

Pretty good for a first timer. :)

edit: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17583258 if you like drag racing

Last edited:

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

Very good for a first time, its all about practicing the panning to pin the images down and make them super sharp :)

Number 1 is a great capture as it really shows the action well, a definate favourite for me.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the comments guys :)

I'd say my ratio for getting a keeper was about 1 in 5 shots and I did improve throughout the weekend. I'd like to start playing with the shutter speeds more. I was surprised how even at 1/1000 I'd get blur when taking a shot then at say 1/250 it would be pin sharp! I need to master the art of panning :)

Soldato
The first 2 photos show highlighting clipping and lack contrast. The contrast can be fixed in Photoshop but you won't be able to recover the over exposed parts. The 2nd photo is also completely out of focus.

The 3rd photo has a distracting tyre barrier on the right which spoils the photo in my opinion.
I've found that photos of bikes leaning away from the camera tend not to work as you can only see a knee and arm of the rider.

Sorry to be so negative but it’s better to be honest :)

Soldato
OP
SDK^ said:
The first 2 photos show highlighting clipping and lack contrast. The contrast can be fixed in Photoshop but you won't be able to recover the over exposed parts. The 2nd photo is also completely out of focus.

The 3rd photo has a distracting tyre barrier on the right which spoils the photo in my opinion.
I've found that photos of bikes leaning away from the camera tend not to work as you can only see a knee and arm of the rider.

Sorry to be so negative but it’s better to be honest :)

No problem at all :) I appreciate your comments!

The tyre barrier was a feature I couldnt work around due to the angle of the shot, but I do agree that its something the picture can do without.

As I said, this was my first time, so if you have any tips to correct the issues you've mentioned I'd be more than happy to hear them :)

Back
Top Bottom