Mixing memory makes

Associate
hi i have some corsair memory in my computer atm but i also have some 256mb samsung memory and a 256mb memory (make unknown) in my old computer, anyway i was wondering if i could put the memory from my old computer into the one im using atm
thanks

Associate
OP
if i could mix the makes then would it be alrite if when i start using my old computer if i could take the samsung and the unknown memory from the one im using atm and put it back into my old computer

in basic:
1. starts in old computer that im not using
2. if it is possible to mix memory makes then i put into my new computer
3. if it goes in my new computer when i start using my old computer then would i be able to put the memory back into it

p.s both the memory in my new computer and the memory in my old computer are DDR

thanks

Man of Honour
Yes it is possible to mix sticks from different manufacturers however the chances are it will not run in dual channel and you will probably have to default to the speed of the lowest rated chip.

If in the future you wanted to remove the sticks of Ram and put them back into your old PC then that wouldn't cause a problem either.

Associate
OP
semi-pro waster said:
Yes it is possible to mix sticks from different manufacturers however the chances are it will not run in dual channel and you will probably have to default to the speed of the lowest rated chip.

so would you recommend i do it or not and i dont quite understand what you mean in the last part of this post
thanks

Man of Honour
I probably would put the extra memory into the PC as I think the benefits would outweigh the disadvantage of not running dual channel. You don't say in your post if all Ram is PC3200(DDR400) or better so I was just pointing out that if you had one stick of say PC2700(DDR333) then the Ram is likely to default to that speed for all of them. Hopefully that is a bit clearer but if not just ask :)

Back
Top Bottom