Flying on Saturday few Q

Associate
I'll be flying to Mongolia this saturday via Air China and then MIAT.

This is the first time I'm taking camera stuff with me as hand luggage on board. So I hope you guys can help me, ease me little.

1. I was gonna buy Lowepro Mini Trekker but ended up with Lowepro Nova 5. Will this be allowed, in terms of size. (also I will be taking iBook G4 in another bag).

2. Will I be able to carry the spare battery and charger, lens cleaning solution etc all in the same bag? (don't want this blowing in my bag)

3. Do they usually check bags after x-ray or metal detector, if so is taking all the camera equipment apart from tripod is allowed?

4. I havn't used the air transport service for the last 10 years, so feeling bit nervous and what should I know and be aware of in general.

thanks in advance

Soldato
I'm sure taking it all in hand luggage won't be a problem. I'm not sure what xray machines do to digital cameras, I know they used to mess up film but i'm sure it's fine with digital. I can't see there being a problem personally.

Soldato
Have you checked the website of your flight? When I was planning my Toronto trip it had the sizes and weights of the bags I could take. This allowed me know what bag I should buy for my camera equipment and Macbook Pro. I had no problems with anything. Things were scanned and they still work.

Associate
Scanners seem not to worry digicams or 'exposed' cards.
However if you wish to be safe rather than sorry take the cards out and give over for hand examination.

Associate
OP
do you guys usually take laptops onboard or leave in the luggage?
How safe is it?
I might have to put some of the lens in the main luggage and just take the camera with 28-75mm lens and laptop inside the nova 5 bag.

Last thing I need is not being able to take everything I want.

DiG

DiG

Associate
Putting anything fragile in the hold is a bad idea, seriously bad, can't help with camera stuff but, if your a bit worried about the flight then remember odd noises and movements are not the plane going wrong but completly normal! Turbulance is also normal, and although it can be quite scary the plane is built to take it!

Oh and do the exercises to help prevent DVT's if its a long flight, they make you feel better anyway!
Have fun whereever you are going!

Back
Top Bottom