Changing driveshafts - Anything i need to be aware of?

Soldato
Hey,

Next week i'm planning on changing the nearside driveshaft on my 205 GTi.

I've got the driveshaft itself, and i'm going to replace the brake pads/discs while i'm there. Is there anything else i should be doing while i've got everything apart?

Don
Are you doing both driveshafts?

If so, the suspension is gonna have to come to bits (partially) and it cant hurt to check for wear in the wishbone balljoints and bushes!

Check the ARB droplinks too...

[Edit] So you're only doing one... Still applies... hehe

Soldato
Im not sure how the driveshafts on the 205 connect to the gear box but would think they go into it on splines. This means normally if you dont drain the gearbox oil some will come out when your remove the shafts and it will need topping up anyway. Could be worth draining it all out first and putting fresh oil in if im on the right lines.

Soldato
-westy- said:
Yep, the shafts go on splines. The gearbox oil will be checked and topped up accordingly :)
Well it'll definatley be topped up as half of it will fall out. I hope it's the NS drive shaft your doing as then you don't need to worry about the intermediate bearing, they can be a right PITA. Other wise it's a fairly simple job. Worth remembering to jack both sides of the car up as well, makes it a lot easier to disconect the ball joints. Good luck.

Soldato
OP
burns said:
Well it'll definatley be topped up as half of it will fall out. I hope it's the NS drive shaft your doing as then you don't need to worry about the intermediate bearing, they can be a right PITA. Other wise it's a fairly simple job. Worth remembering to jack both sides of the car up as well, makes it a lot easier to disconect the ball joints. Good luck.

me said:
Next week i'm planning on changing the nearside driveshaft on my 205 GTi.

Is it a case of undoing the hubnut and the balljoint and then swinging the rest of the suspension of the way then?

Soldato
-westy- said:
Is it a case of undoing the hubnut and the balljoint and then swinging the rest of the suspension of the way then?
I think so, it's a while since I've done it on a 205 though. It might be easier with the tie bars disconnected, but they can be a pain to get off themselves so I'd start with just the ball joint undone and see what it looks like from there.

Soldato
Jonny69 said:
Put something underneath when you pull the driveshaft out the gearbox, I think a fair bit of oil comes out.

Yep, depending on how quick you are getting the new CV in, then you can lose a fair bit of oil! Sods law states that the new CV will be as tricky as possible to get into place whilst oil is gushing out.

Soldato
OP
-westy- said:
Yep, the shafts go on splines. The gearbox oil will be checked and topped up accordingly :)

Ok - driveshaft and brakes are done, in under 6 hours, i'm quite proud of myself :)

There is a vital flaw with the above quote. Where the hell do I put the gearbox oil in? What seems to be a breather hole at the top of the 'box is just solid.

Any ideas?

Associate
-westy- said:
Ok - driveshaft and brakes are done, in under 6 hours, i'm quite proud of myself :)

There is a vital flaw with the above quote. Where the hell do I put the gearbox oil in? What seems to be a breather hole at the top of the 'box is just solid.

Any ideas?
On the end of the box (the end thats nearest the wheel) there should be a ring of bolts holding on the end of the box to the rest of the box (if you see what I mean :) ).
There should be a bolt on the right hand side of this bit which is the filler plug. It'll probably either be a slightly larger bolt or an allen key bolt.

The oil level 9 times out of 10 is the height of the filler plug, so when oil starts to run out of the hole then it's right. :)

Soldato
OP
tb2000 said:
On the end of the box (the end thats nearest the wheel) there should be a ring of bolts holding on the end of the box to the rest of the box (if you see what I mean :) ).
There should be a bolt on the right hand side of this bit which is the filler plug. It'll probably either be a slightly larger bolt or an allen key bolt.

The oil level 9 times out of 10 is the height of the filler plug, so when oil starts to run out of the hole then it's right. :)

Yep, just checked that with the Haynes manual. I'll do it tomorrow :p

Back
Top Bottom