What are/did you going to do when you finsh/ed uni?

Associate
I finish uni 2 weeks today for good :( and I really aint got a clue what I am going to do. I should have be looking for a job months ago and maybe have one lined up, but I aint even started to think about looking. At the moment, when I finish im just going to go home and look for a job in that area but a lot of my friends have moved away and I really cant see myself enjoying life there anymore.

On the other hand I could look for a job anywhere in the country and land up there by myself, which I guess is fine if you make new friends quickly but if I don’t im stuck with a job and ill be all alone

I really don’t know what to do I can’t see myself being happy what ever I do. Just seems like the good days are over and im actually getting quite worried/depressed about it which is something I never usually do.

What direction did you take when you finished uni and what did you do?

Soldato
I have to admit, the months after uni were pretty hard for me. I moved back to my parents, who fortunately I get on with very well. It then took me 9 months to get the job im doing now. In that 9 months I did some temp work, including warehouse and factory work but couldnt find anything remotely associated with my degree or anything I would want to make a career out of. I have to say that was possibly the lowest I have ever felt. However after hundereds of job applications, I have finally landed a job that I enjoy, with people that I get on with, and life is looking up. Social life could maybe be slightly better, but im working on it. Things may be hard, but stick at it and keep your chin up and things will work out in the end. :)

Mat

Mat

Soldato
I immediately went out ond put my name on the books of an employment agency. Luckily, I got a fixed term contract job the next day which saw me through until I could get a permanent position in the area in a job more related to my degree.

My main motivation for getting a job early was so that I didnt have to go back to my home town which had gone right downhill since I was at uni.

That first job was in a NatWest service centre so the good times at uni were just replaced with the good times at work as the majority of people there were fresh out of uni or 6th form.

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
I'm going to do a masters at Staffordshire Uni, it's got a placement year as well so hopefully it'll get me on the first rung of the ladder to work my way up :)

I had a whole range of ideas beforehand though. I was having a look for graduate jobs in the area of the country I want to live ideally, but I couldn't really see anything I really wanted to do so wasn't sure if that was wise. I basically got all the leaflets and booklets I could find in my Uni career centre and worked my way through them.

Besides that I could have just stayed with my part time job (Carphone Warehouse) and gone fulltime, it pays well so would have done me fine, but I suspect I'd get bored of it after a while.

I know one of my friends has applied for a few graduate jobs and is waiting to hear back, but a lot of friends just seem to have decided on a year out because they have no idea what to do next.

Soldato
My last exam is today, and I'm moving back home in just under 2 weeks.

I actually love being home but I guess I'm quite unusual in that - most of my mates don't understand why!

I think my parents moving house just under 2 years ago and me hardly spending any time there yet means it's all still got that novelty factor to it. Plus I get on with my parents really well, and most of my mates from 6th form will be back home over the summer.

I've got a couple of holidays planned (Miami, Prague, Berlin) and then start work in London in October.

Soldato
I still havnt decided wether or not to go to uni yet, I'll wait and finish my hnd first, and see what happens. I plan on going into a studio for a while, probably a junior interactive designer or something, after a while of working for a company, and saving up a fair bit of cash, having a house etc, I plan on starting my own little studio, thats the goal, I need to have my own studio :)

Soldato
Become a proffessional bum, you think I'm kidding; I won't have a home in 2 weeks time, I don't have a job, and I do absolutely nothing. I can't even get on the dole.

Ant :cool:

Associate
Finished 2 weeks ago. Bought a car and been going for a few days out. Got a short break planned in the highlands, a weekend in Rome and one in Paris, 3 weeks training with the RNR then start my job on September 4th. Happy days.

Associate
well i've been back home now for 6 days, moving from liverpool back to stoke, and its alright at the moment but can see it becoming tedious pretty soon if i can't land me a job. The fact that i don't even know when i'm graduating doesn't help - stoopid strikes.

I've applied for a graphic design job that sounds like a bit of fun, which in a job, is a very important thing to me.. i get bored pretty easily, but coming from a CAD course, its a different kinda discipline so who knows?

Apart from that, theres a few bar jobs scattered around which i've applied for. Wouldn't mind bar work as it is a laff, but at the end of the day, i just need a job to keep me from going insane, plus i aint ever been this skint in my life!

Anywho.. good luck to all

Caporegime
I took it easy for 6months, broke my wrist so couldn't really work anyway.

Got a job for a year as an Engineer for an Automotive supplier which gave me a great experience of the working environment and have now been offered a Graduate position at BP.

Graduate schemes are what you want to get onto really. Of course it depends on what degree you did ?

Mat

Mat

Soldato
HEADRAT said:
Moved from Luton to Cambridge to start work, blimey it all seems like a very long time ago now ;)

HEADRAT

I came from Dunstable to Cambridge when I came to uni back in '94... never looked back. Dunstable is a hole compared to Cam (no offense to *insert OcUK member whos name I forget* who still lives there).

Man of Honour
I signed up witha n agency and got a job moving boxes about a warehouse, while I looked for an IT job. Relised I didn't want to sit at a desk all day so searched for other jobs that sounded intresting. Now workign at network rail out side in the sun :).. Hopping to go back to uni though to do a railway degree.

Soldato
Those looking for work here's something to consider, I did a lot of my temping through an "accountancy" firm, lots of the times companies are looking for peopel that are computer/numerate literate to help out with management accounts etc.

I spent two summers and one winter break helping do the management accounts at London Central Busses ;)

HEADRAT

Soldato
I graduated in June 2004 in Computer Science.

I bummed around/travelled until August, applied for a job doing Corporate Audit in an Accountancy firm, got it, then bummed around until November when I started working.

:)

Soldato
I finished my degree on the 22nd of last month, and had been applying for jobs since I started my exams. I got through 5 or 6 applications, and two interviews for the last 2 applications. First interview turned me down, second interview offered me a job which I start next Thursday.

I did a BSc with honours in Computer Science with an industrial placement year by the way. :)

Back
Top Bottom