What sort of electric sander to get!?

Man of Honour
Hi guys, i'm looking for a cheap electric sander to use to rub down our skirting boards a bit and also a few other tasks such as smooth down some dodgy plasterwork etc.

I've seen orbital sanders, belt sanders, 1/2 sheet sanders etc etc....

What is each sort for!!??

Mal

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
How thick is the paint? If it is really old skirting, it will be thick paint - if all you want to do is paint over it then an orbital sander will give you what you need cheaply. If taking it back to the wood is what you are after either use *** savagery that is a belt sander or use a blowlamp and a scraper to take it back to the wood.

Associate
You doing it in situ or taking it off?

If your doing it in situ do you have carpet the take up the gripper boards as they will get it in way and tear your hand to shreds. If its laminate flooring you could damage the edges with both types of sander.

Belt sanders are quite vicous things but get the job done fast and if you can be bothered to make your own belts you can get a very nice finnish. I made myself a few flower paper belts. An orbital would be ok for the job though they can be had so cheeply now you might as well get both. if you never use them again its always fun to race belt sanders.

3M Aluminium oxide paper is fantasic for getting paint off. If its very thick then garnet paper is ever better.

Gas blow torch and scraper is good, what i use most of the time. Again depends on whats underneath. Since your painting the skill of not burning the wood isn't an issue.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
wez130 said:
belt sander will do the job much quicker, i have an orbital, a sheet sander and belt sander and i swear by my belt sander. :)

If he isnt going back to the wood, just painting over then a belt sander in inexperienced hands isnt going to let him get a very smooth finish on a skirting board in situ - they remove material far too quickly for someone that isnt used to it.

An orbital sander is far more gentle and will let him get the surface ready for painting a lot easier than a belt sander will.

Personally, I love belt sanders for their sheer brute force but often it just isn the tool for the job.

Soldato
Belt sanders are great for heavy duty work but if you just want to sand down existing paintwork so it will accept a new coat then go for an orbital sander.

I’d recommend any of the main brands (B&D, DeWalt, Borcsh) but probably best to avoid the cheaper store brands as they have habit of falling apart after any sort of extended use.

Many of the main brand sanders come with sanding adaptors/plates which allow you to sand around the most awkward of wall/skirting which belt sanders can’t.

Soldato
I have a triangular orbital sander that's come in SO handy at times. It has a pointy bit at the front distinctly for getting into corners. Works a treat, but it goes through rahter expensive paper rather quickly (you have to buy premade triangular paper that has an adhesive backing to it).

Only use a belt sander if you're taking off a hundred years' worth of varnish on a hardwood floor. Even with a fine grit belt like 120 will chew through paint so quick you'll be onto the bare wood before you even realise it and deforming the trim.

Oh, and my orbital is cordless 18V also, which make it handy as.....

Back
Top Bottom