Is there such a thing as decent wireless headphones ?

Soldato
Reason I'm asking is because I've got a Philips pair, and they are awful, the sound quality is ok, but there's just no bass on them My wired up Sony Pair have almost had it (they are falling apart)

I generally use my speakers during the day but when it comes ot evenings when the family are home they don't like my music or games that much, so really want something pretty decent thats going to sound good. Looking at spending £50 but if can go a little higher if I find what I'm after.

Suspended
No not really, as previous poster said headphones need power, so unless the headphones have a big battery pack and a good amplifier just compromising (weight/cost/size) also have transmitter etc.

All the best phones are wired. I tried a few cordless, sound was no better than £10 set of open style phones.

Look at a set of Grados SR-60's for that price, you get plenty of cord, a extension cable is available also.

Soldato
Dunno about wireless, but if you're just looking at some great headphones for under £50, the Koss Porta Pro would be hard to beat at £25. IMO they push the Grado SR60/SR80 pretty close in quality terms and sound more open.

Soldato
OP
I've been reading some reviews of wireless ones, and they aren't getting very favourable ones.

So looking into Sennhesiers, I've got a pair of 212 Pro's, but they have fallen apart from too much use :(

Associate
If you want wireless to be mobile (as in walk around the house and do the dishes while listening to music etc) then you will be far better off just getting an affordable mp3 player and a set of decent, comfortable earphones for it.

I've got these for my player and they're bloody amazing:
- http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=1752

They completely block out any outside noise (which is great if you live in a noisey household where listening to music is problematic as it is). They look a bit scary but after a while I don't even know I'm wearing them and the sound quality is insane.

If you just want to be wireless for the sake of being wireless then I wouldn't waste time with *any* cordless audio gear. If you appreciate sound quality as much as me then do yourself a favor and stay wired :)

Associate
I love my Audio Technica A-900's, although the poor ears do get a little toasty at this time of year with the huge cans engulfing them!

Best headphones I've ever owned, dangling from a stand that came with a Philips set I had, which broke from daily use, cracks developed overtime. These AT's though, built like a bomb shelter, and takes the beatings I give them (and my ears) very well :)

Cost over £150 unless you import though...

Associate
there are very very good wireless headphones but they cost a LANGUAGE! load of money. THey are sonys cant remember where from, but basically theres a really cool box that sends signals to it, and you can walk out the room and still have sound. They are incredibly loud and have such good quality. My dad has a pair and i couldnt put the volume up a lot. Imagine 7 top of the range speakers with the best audio sound card. Its like that in your ears. Lethal lol.

I think they cost around £500 to £1000.

Soldato
Barleymo said:
Have a pare of Sony MDREX71 Fontopia's and the sound quality is brilliant, nice bass and treble, but they are wired....

can....open...worms... everywhere.

Not great IEM's at all. Look into some westone um1, shure e2c etc etc

Soldato
Philips 1500u are considering some the best wireless headphones in the world but they cost about £250 and can only be brought from europe or germany....

Ive heard reviews but no ones really compared it to some good wired cans, like the Senn 580/59X-6XX series cans.

Bit of a shame really I loved my Senn HD-595s was like listening to new songs from my mp3 collection again but they had to be sold they were open design thus next door neighbours could proberly hear them. A-900s are considered best closed cans.

Shame I cant get the HD-595s wireless eh ;) now that would be heaven.

Associate
Yep, A-900's were considered to be the best closed cans at the time of purchase too, good to see it hasn't changed :D

I wen't for a closed design to lower the chance of other people in the room hearing them. It turns out you have to play them really loud, and be sitting next to someone for them to hear you...but, all this isolation makes your ears a bit warm in this weather.

Open cans are said to have better soundstage, but the A900's come very close.

About wireless though, I got my mum some Senn's for her birthday, £60 from Argos, awful sounding, very little bass, and a small amount of hiss no matter how much the fine tuning dial is adjusted. She isn't picky like me though, she just wants to be able to walk around the house with them on.

Associate
I thought the Sony R10 would be the top contender for best closed cans ;)

In terms of soundstage it depends. In -general- open do have a wider soundstage. Grado is an exception (with the GS-1000 apparently being an exception within the Grado line - though I've not tried them). The A900 are not quite close to the AKG 501/701 that in aspect though (IMO).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm not looking at wireless anymore now. Seems like all the reviews Ive seen don't rate them all that highly. Don't want to waste my money.

So it's back to wired I look once again. My current pair of Sony's are holdin out, well just. They are a bit broken now after they have been dropped a fair few times.

Pity my Sennheisser 212 Pro's are falling apart or I'd go back to them, having said that you can still buy those, so might actually get another pair, the sound quality on them is amazing, and they weren't too heavy either, I could use something pretty leight weight but still sounds good, but I'm guessing that might not be possible.

Take me along time to decided on what I spend my money on lol.

Associate
The Koss Portapro is priced in line with the Sennheiser, lightweight (moderately portable when you fold them).. and arguably better sounding than the Senns. Sennheiser's own PX100 is a viable alternative too.
Again, this is a case of "open" (PortaPro, PX100) vs "closed" (HD212).

[Recently explained on another thread and on the Wikipedia under headphones]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom