Motherboard won't post without CMOS reset!

Associate
Hi all,

The other day I was playing around with some settings in the BIOS (notably the FSB speed) and I rather stupidly and unintentionally set the speed to 400mhz. The motherboard refused to post, so like you do, I removed the battery on the Mobo and restarted. Reset settings, restarted and all was well. Came to turn the thing on the next day and it refused to post again! So I removed the battery again for 30s or so to reset the CMOS and it booted up fine (but requiring me putting all my BIOS settings again!). So now, the thing refuses to start unless I go through this procedure. All the fans come on and the hard drives spin up but it refuses to post....no beeps or anything!

My guess is that it might be the battery going, but I've never had that happen before on a PC (although this is the first computer that gets moved around from Uni to home). I've breifly checked that all the cards are seated properly, and all seems well.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, cause it's seriously annoying having to take my battery out and reset everything each morning!

My system is:

Athlon XP3000+
Gigabyte GA-7NNXP nForce 2
1024Mb Corsair TwinX PC3200
nVidia GeForce FX5900Ultra
Creative SB Audigy 2
WiFi Card
Western Digital 7200rpm 120Gb SATA (Primary System)
Hitatchi 7200rpm 250Gb SATA (Secondary)

EDIT: Meant to say that I have the latest BIOS revision and flashed it after I got this problem, so I don't think it's that ;)

Associate
OP
Just the battery. I haven't tried the actual jumpers no. Not entirely sure where they are so will have to look in the manual for that one :p

Soldato
I'm pretty sure the Gigabyte GA-7NNXP has 2 BIOS chips.

I also seem to remember these boards don't have the clear CMOS like others, you just remove battery.

Dual BIOS is meant to...

Q: What is Dual BIOS Technology?

A: Dual BIOS means that there are two system BIOS (ROM) on the motherboard, one is the
Main BIOS and the other is Backup BIOS. Under the normal circumstances, the system works on
the Main BIOS. If the Main BIOS is corrupted or damaged, the Backup BIOS can take over while
the system is powered on. This means that your PC will still be able to run stably as if nothing has
happened in your BIOS.

I would also change the battery just in case.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeah it does indeed have Dual Bios. The way I understand it though is that it double beeps at you and reboots to let you know it's defaulting to the backup, and it's not doing that. Anyone else got any ideas other than battery? I'd have thought it would have just totally stopped working if I'd fried something right? I haven't over volted or anything like that and once it's running it's still 100% stable.

Associate
hmm
makes sure the bios jumpers set to pins 1.2 and not 2.3
jump into the bios and set it to the default settings

then save settings just to see if the bios is saving right, turn of the pc
then back on again. and if alls well it should have saved the settings,

boot into windows, restart pc , jump into the bios again and set the bios to how you want it, save settings ..

and hopefully that should fix it, let me know if it does or not

good luck

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom