What else can I try to recover bad sectors ?

Associate
Found out my Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 160 GB Sata II have developed bad sectors.
I run the diagnostic tools from Hitachi website, and erased drive twice and fully. However, the problem still persist. I still get a red screen message saying bad sectors have been found (Device failure),to recover please fully erase drive to 0.
What else can I try to recover this drive ?
cheers

Associate
OP
Well, I tested my drive using HD Tune to find out 2.5% of drive surface is corrupted.Last 4 GB of drive is damaged.Can not explain why.
Drive was fine until I plugged on port no 2 (sata I) on my mobo and transferred the entire content into a new Samsung SpinPoint in port 1 (sata I).

Drive was not bought through OCuk.
Can I RMA it directly to Hitachi or original vendor even If I haven`t got the packaging any more ?

Associate
I always RMA straight to the the manufacturer. I remember that Hitachi's RMA service was impressive. They didn't have advanced replacement like some other manufacturers, but the swapping process was real quick for me. I can't vouch for Spinrite much. Good on paper, but when I used it, I ended up wasting days: it's very slow, understandably being a low level tool. But/and it wasn't particularly successful at recovering my data either.

Last edited:
Associate
I've just sucessfully fixed 2 bad sectors on one of my raptors with HDD regenerator. Thats properly fixed using magnetic reversal, not just marked as bad and covered over.

Back
Top Bottom