Upto £4000 on a Hot Hatch

Soldato
If you want to save money get a Xsara VTS like mine :D

I have the Mk1 and its pretty much the same as the GTi-6, If you are going to pay up to £4000 for a GTi-6 makes sure its not the P1 or P2.

Also the Xsara VTS is faster 0-60... according to Parkers :p

Associate
Hate said:
possibly a 185, but they aren't really that quick as standard

I test drove a fresh import ST205, K&N cone induction kit, blitz blow off valve (which as it goes, would be replaced by a recirc valve straight away! yuk!) and a "sports" exhaust last week (270bhp at a guess), priced at £4800, offered cash and got it to £4200 straight away without even trying.

It wasnt 100% but you could definately get one for £4k if you shopped around and haggled a bit. Insurance, however, is another issue!

Associate
Go semi old skool and get a 91-92 Golf G60 and spend the spare cash on a couple of engine upgrades. you should get about 200 brake for 4 grand. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Nedved11 said:
Sorry, Phase 1 or 2 as they are the older look 306, the newer Phase 3 looks much better and a newer car. :)

You'll be lucky to get a P3 for £4000 (maybe high mileage). Probably get a P2.5 aka Parts bin special! :D Basically around '99 T reg Pug started using new and old parts on most cars. The three main cosmetic differences are:

Front headlights - Went from frosted to crystal. Can be easily done afterwards though for around £130.

Side bumpstrips - Went thinner and also body-coloured.

Tailgate - P2's have a black strip at the bottom of the bootlid where P3's don't. Nothing major there.

Mmm can't think of any more. Oh interior, P2's - some have "mustang" cloth & leather whereas P3's all have Alacantra & leather. Some bits of the dash are silver on P3 whereas in P2's its black.

P.S - Pretty good buying guild here for you.

Last edited:

Pug

Pug

Soldato
megakid said:
I test drove a fresh import ST205, K&N cone induction kit, blitz blow off valve (which as it goes, would be replaced by a recirc valve straight away! yuk!) and a "sports" exhaust last week (270bhp at a guess), priced at £4800, offered cash and got it to £4200 straight away without even trying.

It wasnt 100% but you could definately get one for £4k if you shopped around and haggled a bit. Insurance, however, is another issue!

yeah, they're rare but about definately

Associate
tonyyeb said:
Everyones entitled to an opinion... anymore suggestions?
Fiat coupe.

And I dont know about the fiat and the toyotas mentioned, but there is quite a bit of difference in practicality between some of the hot hatches mentioned and a 200sx.

You can fit 3 adults in ok, but only across town. No good really for 3 people long distance. Boot is ok. But its not a hatch and I have to undo both wheels and handle bar on a large mountain bike to get it in etc.

Soldato
OP
Trickle said:
Fiat coupe.

And I dont know about the fiat and the toyotas mentioned, but there is quite a bit of difference in practicality between some of the hot hatches mentioned and a 200sx.

You can fit 3 adults in ok, but only across town. No good really for 3 people long distance. Boot is ok. But its not a hatch and I have to undo both wheels and handle bar on a large mountain bike to get it in etc.

I should have said that i wouldn't buy a FIAT even if it came with a free get out of jail free card! Newer ones are much better now under the ownership of GM but older ones age worse than ASDAs own cheese!

Soldato
i think the xsara looks nice

media

Mic

Mic

Soldato
You would get such a mint CRX Sir with that money :(
With a nice chunk of change to make it something special. Too old for your requirments though.

Back
Top Bottom