SCSI instead of SATAII

Associate
Just put together a new system & reinstalled XP (no service packs yet). I have a single SATA drive (Samsung Spinpoint Sata II) but for some reason it's properties describe it as an SCSI drive. Is this normal?

-this is the 1st time I have used a sata drive & I'm a wee bit confused :confused:

I made up a floppy disk with the SATA drivers on it and pressed F6 when prompted. The floppy drive lit up for a brief second & then went off (no grinding/juddering noises like when the floppy drive usually operates) so I'm doubtful if the windows install actually accessed the drivers.
I also installed the drivers again (just to make sure lol) once windows was up & running -this time I used the installation cd instead of the floppy disk. Still shows as SCSI though.

Have I cocked up somewhere?

Soldato
Depends on the controller. My Silicon Image SiI 3132 controller is a sata controller but for the purposes of running just a single drive instead of a RAID which it is designed to do, it runs a pseudo-scsi device whereby it emulates SCSI for the purposes of windows.

Back
Top Bottom