Searching a database

Soldato
im currently setting up a database where i want users to be able to search for items in a database. whats the best way of doing this? is there anywhere where i can get free PHP scripts. my programming is really poor :(

thanks

Permabanned
Look into using visual studio and .net, you can incorperate an sql database without any hassle and its all drag and drop so very little coding.

plus there are tons of examples on the net (just google it)

Associate
What database are you planning on using - you say your programming is poor - so i assume you can write the basics of a language at them moment?

If you go down the PHP & MySQL route you will have no trouble, its fairly easy to get the basics setup and with a wealth of tutorials around the internet on PHP & MySQL apps it should be easy enough.

To get you started.

Get a host with PHP and MySQL / install Apache / PHP / MySQL on your own computer

Set up you database and look into creating FULLTEXT indexes - you can then perform FULLTEXT searches.

Soldato
If its done locally then you will need a serve3r and you should install XAMPP. (which is a PHP server).

From there you can create your mysql database.

And then create your pages to search and show results using a tutorial like: This.

Hope it helps.

Man of Honour
Bloo_Fish said:
Set up you database and look into creating FULLTEXT indexes - you can then perform FULLTEXT searches.
It's worth noting that FULLTEXT has a number of limitations such as a min. 4 character search term and the wonderful trait of show 0 results when more than 50% of the rows contain the search term, so it might not be suitable.

A simple LIKE %term% might just be the easiest way, though not terribly fancy. Anyone know of any cool MySQL-based search algorithms? I don't :(

Back
Top Bottom