router to router link for more routery goodness?

Permabanned
Hi all. Just fitted some new buffalo kit to the hotel for a good range signal. the router and repeater are connected wirelessly via buffalos WDA service. What i want to know is ..

Can i connect my older netgear DG834 router modem to the buffalo router, via cable of course as another repeater station? In essence im asking, if i connect some crossover cable between router A (which is on the internet) and router B will a wireless connection to B be able to connect to the internet.

Associate
If I understand correctly, you want to use the Netgear as a simple access point and nothing more. In this case it should be possible, just disable the DHCP server on the Netgear if it has one and when you plug it in, the network cable should go to one of the LAN ports, not WAN (if it's ADSL it won't fit anyway - if cable it would - the DG834 is ADSL iirc?).

Hope this helps, null :)

Associate
Yup :)

edit - I assume you realise it won't work as a repeater, will just be another access point, so if you've got roaming clients they might have to reconnect. If not then it shouldn't matter. You could try setting the SSID and encryption if any to be the same as the other wlan, but I don't have any experience of roaming between different manufacturers' kit to say if it would work.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
can u explain that a bit more? when you say it will act as an access point not a repeater. i dont follow thought they were the same?? lets put it into hypotheticity.

Router connected to broadband has SSID of "hotel" repeater unit in seperate building has SSID "annexe" then netger router now has SSID upper floor.

What i assume you mean to say is, if all these were set to "hotel" then people could move between them without reconfiguring their wireless yet you are not sure if this will work with the netgear as its config may be different to the buffalo stuff yeah?

Damn i can only fiind patch cable so cant test this out!

Associate
Ahhhh. When you said 'repeater' in the first post, I assumed you meant a device that takes and rebroadcasts the signal from a base WAP, effectively increasing the coverage area. What you actually mean is essentially another WAP altogether.

If most of your WAPs are Bufallo or for that matter any other manufacturer, providided they are the same you should be able to enable roaming. My ZyXEL WAPs have it anyway, I assume Bufallo do. With roaming enabled and all the SSIDs and encryption the same, the whole collection of WAPs should appear as just one big hotspot to the clients.

The Netgear router may or may not support roaming wireless, but even if it does my understanding is that cross-compatability between manufacturers is low or non existant so it may not work. However you could always try, even if it doesn't have the roaming option. It may be that the clients drivers will automatically pick the WAP with best signal anyway, I don't know.

Also about the patch cable, if either of the devices has auto cable detection (and I assume one at least does) then it shouldn't matter, the patch cable should work fine.

Permabanned
OP
hit on a mini admin problem. I cant seem to access the netgears admin page any longer. its previous ip was 192.168.0.1 of course now it has also been assigned an ip by the main router that is acting as a DHCP which is 192.168.11.5 now how in the hell do i get to 192.168.0.1 through 192.168.11.5?!? lol
help

Associate
Login to the main router and look around for a page to the DHCP leases. It should show you a list of all the devices that have got a lease from the main router. One of these should be the Netgear router. You may have to work it out by process of elimination if it's not clear. So just copy the IP and paste it into another browser tab/window.

Once you've got to the Netgear's panel you may consider giving it a static IP if you're confident with doing so, that way you won't have to look it up from the lease page next time.

Permabanned
OP
problem number 2....lol...xbox 360 wont connect to the netgear as the netgear refuses to assign it an IP address. This is because i disabled the DHCP server protocol on the netgear. What should i do? man this stuff is complex but its nice to learn it :D

Permabanned
OP
null said:
Login to the main router and look around for a page to the DHCP leases. It should show you a list of all the devices that have got a lease from the main router. One of these should be the Netgear router. You may have to work it out by process of elimination if it's not clear. So just copy the IP and paste it into another browser tab/window.

Once you've got to the Netgear's panel you may consider giving it a static IP if you're confident with doing so, that way you won't have to look it up from the lease page next time.

well buffalo reports its dhcp lease addy as 192.168.11.5 but if i type that in i get error connection refused

Associate
Assuming you still have a DHCP server running on the main router it *should* work. I think. Slightly out of my depth here but it maybe you need to set up the Netgear as a DHCP Relay. Look around the web control panel, it should be there somewhere. Then you need to feed it the IP of the main router.

Failing that you could setup a static IP on the X-Box too but I dunno if they support doing that? Even so it's a pretty ugly solution. Give the DHCP Relay stuff a go and see how it goes.

Associate
Ultra_Extreme said:
well buffalo reports its dhcp lease addy as 192.168.11.5 but if i type that in i get error connection refused
Is that in the range that the Bufallo gives leases on? Bit of a strange one, have you got the subnet masks right on all clients? Could be that stopping you from accessing the Netgear. Again, I don't really understand subnetting fully so I could be talking rubbish :o

Ooh double post :o (I had the thread open in a tab and didn't refresh before my last post, so didn't see your last question).

Permabanned
OP
well this is interesting. assigned a static ip to the xbox. no joy cant confirm DNS. assigned gateway address as the address of the netgear assigned to it by the buffalo DHCP and now confirms DNS but fails MTU. wierd.

Associate
Netgear shouldn't be being used as a gateway :eek:

Think of the Netgear as just a simple access point and ignore the fact it used to be a router. Try feeding the X-Box the Buffalo's IP as gateway. That should fix it.

Permabanned
OP
WOO! wicked sorted. had to assign the netgear as a DMZ and enable a box suspiciously labled "pass-through IP adressing" hmm

easy as cake, well rock cake. i now have a wireless network that god himself probably envies. Thanks for all your help null

Permabanned
OP
still cant get the blooming netgear config up, tried it all! geuss if i unhook the wire and send the netgear back into isolation it should become available again then plug it back in and presto-matic fingers crossed

Caporegime
You shouldn't need to do any of that if you set it up properly - the wireless and wired segments are bridged by default.
You'll need to change the Netgear's IP...

Permabanned
OP
tolien said:
You shouldn't need to do any of that if you set it up properly - the wireless and wired segments are bridged by default.
You'll need to change the Netgear's IP...

pretty tough when i cant get into the config lol so you suggest i assign the netgear an ip then it should automatically have that ip through the buffalo therefore giving me access, despite the fact that neither its default ip nor the current dhcp assigned ip allows me access to the config?

Back
Top Bottom