computer booting problem

Associate
im having some problems and so im typing this up on my mums crappy thing /sigh

well stupidly i decided to upgrade to xp pro from xp home and all the setup etc went fine in windows. however when it starts properly installing after the reboot i keep getting a "STOP" bluescreen saying:

STOP: 0x0000007e (0xc0000005, 0x80509F7A, 0xf7abea84, 0xf7abe780)

i have tried doing everything it says on the blue screen and also from the MS KB for 0x0000007e errors but to no avail. when i try booting from my xp cd and making a fresh install or try to access the recovery console apparently i dont have any accessible hard drives which is clearly a lie because xp setup boots from the HD at startup if i dont boot from the cd.

i thought that my HD might have failed but i ran some tests from my manufacturer (using a boot cd from their website) and it said most stuff is okay. there were 1 or 2 little things the test failed but it said thats most likely due to me not having shut windows down properly the last....well a lot of times.....

anyway if anyone could help that would be great. so far google hasnt helped at all and i cant seem to get my head around this at all

hardware wise i have an abit nf-7s motherboard with the latest BIOS available and the hard drive is a seagate barracuda (this as far as i can tell: http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsa...81,586,00.html)

and ummm yeah i dunno wtf to do

ps sorry about any bad typing/grammar in this post or indeed perhaps its location.....im currently in "angry type" mode

Soldato
Phew.

Longshot...look here...

STOP 0x0000007E" error message after you upgrade to Windows XP

BTW, if you F8 it at boot can you get it into safe mode?

Associate
Do you only have the one drive?,i have 3 and dual boot 2 they are handy for getting out of pickles and using for backing up.
If you can slave the hd and backup the drive on your mums also use some tools on it while its there to check for corruption.
Once thats done use disk management to format the drive(create 2 partitions if you can)and start over with fresh install.
Hopefully it was just a bad upgrade,let us know how you get on

Back
Top Bottom