Is this Safe to drive?

Soldato
Is this safe to drive ?

tyre.jpg

Cant wait to pay over £130 for a new one. (inc fitting)

Soldato
Pretty sure the answer to your question is no.

The 4 little contact points between your tyres and the road are all that keep you fixed to the road and not sliding off. It's amazing the amount of difference between tyres that are in good condition, but the comparison with one thats in bad condition isn't even worth making.

Mic

Mic

Soldato
I dont think so.

I overheard today as i was getting my tracking done is that a bubble in the tyre means the threads inside have snapped after hitting something and the only thing left holding that section together is the rubber.

Soldato
Rednut05 said:
Prob not but if you aren't driving to fast take the risk. People drive with a mirror missing and things so join them in that.

A mirror missing isn't in the same league as a knackered tyre. One is cosmetic and is only used when the driver checks it... it's possible to do without.

The other is put under constant strain whilst driving and I'd not want to be in the car when it gives up.

Soldato
OP
Peugeot 307 2.0

The wheels are stock ones so tyre sizes.

205/50/R17

I was intending on getting all 4 wheels fully refurbished and replacing the front 2 tyres with 2 I have in the garage Bridgestone Re040`s as the ones that came with the car are cheapo Nangkangs. With about 1000/2000 miles left in them.

Currently the rear axle is on mixed tyres :rolleyes: that was down to the last owner. 1 pretty new damaged Perrili Pzero (Pictured) and an Avon with a lot of tread on it.

I will have this tyre replaced.

Last edited:
Associate
Mic said:
I dont think so.

I overheard today as i was getting my tracking done is that a bubble in the tyre means the threads inside have snapped after hitting something and the only thing left holding that section together is the rubber.

Thats about sums it up. So I say no

R.I.P Amps tyre :(

Soldato
Amps said:
Peugeot 307 2.0

The wheels are stock ones so tyre sizes.

205/50/R17

I was intending on getting all 4 wheels fully refurbished and replacing the front 2 tyres with 2 I have in the garage Bridgestone Re040`s as the ones that came with the car are cheapo Nangkangs. With about 1000/2000 miles left in them.

Currently the rear axle is on mixed tyres :rolleyes: that was down to the last owner. 1 pretty new damaged Perrili Pzero (Pictured) and an Avon with a lot of tread on it.

I will have this tyre replaced.

I'd put the Re040s on the front axel. The Nangkangs on the rear.

Replace the Nangkangs with something better once they wear out, but they will last a fair while on the back.

Put the P Zero in the bin, and keep the Avon as a spare.

Soldato
OP
PeterNem said:
I'd put the Re040s on the front axel. The Nangkangs on the rear.

Replace the Nangkangs with something better once they wear out, but they will last a fair while on the back.

Put the P Zero in the bin, and keep the Avon as a spare.

This sounds like a plan.

That will keep me busy.

Is it safe to have lowergrade tyres on the rear?

Soldato
Nope, sidewall = bad. I had exactly the same thing not long back. I must admit i drove on it for a week (slowly). But if i had my time again i wouldnt risk it.

Back
Top Bottom