Fully comp insurance driving another car info pls??

Associate
I've got fully comp insurance and i'm off to a see a new car for my girlfriend tomorrow about 100miles away. I'm not sure if i can drive it back if we decide to buy it i'm not sure how i stand driving back?
As we don't want to have to make another journey next week to pick it up.
Or would the gargae be able to cover me some how?

On my certifcate of insurance it says :-

Additional cover :- the policyholder may also drive a motor car not belonging to him or her under a hire purchase agreement or a vehicle leasing argeement.

Any help would be really good as we are going to look at it tomorrow (sunday)

Thank you

Soldato
Sounds like you ARE NOT covered.

You need DOC (Drive other Car) cover, which allows you to drive a car owned by someone else under your own insurance with third party cover.

It soudns in this case that your insurance will only cover you if it is a hire/lease car, which it is not.

Edit: Where are you buying from? Guessing it'll be an independant or something?

Ford were able to offer me 7 days complimentary fully comp insurance when I bought my Mondeo to save exactly this type of hassel, but that's from a main dealer and not the sort of service I;d expect a small/independat garage to offer.

Permabanned
If you can drive 3rd party it WILL BE stated on your policy and your certificate. If it is not mentioned, you do not have the ability to drive a car under 3rd party cover. (normally limited to 25 year olds and over, sometimes 21yo).

Ignorance is not an excuse, and if you have an accident you will face a driving ban and fine for driving without insurance.

Associate
I've always had DOC cover on my policies. When I was with Direct Line, the quote from the OP was exactly how the DOC cover was worded. i.e. Can drive any car which I don't own (or rent / lease).

If your gf buys the car, i.e. it is in her name, then you should be able to drive it under your policy.

However, as with all these types of situations with insurance, the best thing to do is the call and ask your insurers as they are the only people who can give you a definitive answer.

Soldato
It says he can:

"drive a motor car not belonging to him or her under a hire purchase agreement or a vehicle leasing argeement"

That means the car must be under a hire purchase agreement or a vehicle leasing argeement. A car owned by another third party does not meet this criteria.

If it was DOC cover, it would be made clear.

Soldato
Insure yourself with www.dayinsure.co.uk :)

Edit: May also worth be finding out if you can drive it back on the same day - do garages normally allow this? Whenever my parents/I've bought a new car, the garage has wanted to keep it a few days (I assume for valeting, it irritates me though) before releasing it.

Associate
OP
NickXX said:
Insure yourself with www.dayinsure.co.uk :)

Edit: May also worth be finding out if you can drive it back on the same day - do garages normally allow this? Whenever my parents/I've bought a new car, the garage has wanted to keep it a few days (I assume for valeting, it irritates me though) before releasing it.

Thanks for the info people. We're going to look at a 04plate punto so i was thinking we could pay up if we liked it and drive it away.?

The place we're buying from maybe is here http://www.mastercarsales.co.uk/contact.asp

Associate
PeterNem said:
It says he can:

"drive a motor car not belonging to him or her under a hire purchase agreement or a vehicle leasing argeement"

That means the car must be under a hire purchase agreement or a vehicle leasing argeement. A car owned by another third party does not meet this criteria.

If it was DOC cover, it would be made clear.

Which is DOC cover. i.e. He can drive any car he doesn't own, but cannot use this to get round getting other cover for hired or leased cars.

The wording on my current policy from Admiral (for DOC cover) may help:

The Policyholder may also drive with the consent of the owner a private motor car not belonging to him/her and not hired to him/her under a Hire Purchase Agreement.

Soldato
In which case, your policy wording is much clearer than his, specifically with the includion of the words "and not" - I think the structure of the sentense in his policy leaves it open to interpritation. However, the sentences are very similar so it would seem you are correct.

Associate
PeterNem said:
In which case, your policy wording is much clearer than his, specifically with the includion of the words "and not" - I think the structure of the sentense in his policy leaves it open to interpritation.

I agree, his policy wording is not very clear at all. The safest thing to do would be to phone up and ask the insurers.

Soldato
Matrix said:
Thanks for the info people. We're going to look at a 04plate punto so i was thinking we could pay up if we liked it and drive it away.?

The place we're buying from maybe is here http://www.mastercarsales.co.uk/contact.asp

:o My parents got an A-Class from there about 6 years ago. I remember we had to wait a few days before picking it up - might be worth giving them a call to see if you can drive it home tomorrow. I think my parents did a bank transfer, so maybe they had to wait for that to go through first.

Permabanned
wolseley said:
Which is DOC cover. i.e. He can drive any car he doesn't own, but cannot use this to get round getting other cover for hired or leased cars.

The wording on my current policy from Admiral (for DOC cover) may help:

The Policyholder may also drive with the consent of the owner a private motor car not belonging to him/her and not hired to him/her under a Hire Purchase Agreement.

Which is completely different to his policy. He CANNOT drive another vehicle UNLESS it is under a hired or leased agreement, in which case most hire companies offer insurance anyway!

Associate
OP
WEll it says

The policyholder may also drive a motor car not belonging to him or her and not supplied to him or her under a hire purchase agreement or a vehicle leasing agreement.

Sorry i miss typed it in my first post.

Associate
OP
Damn to much sun has made my brain smaller than it already was! :p

I thought it read like i could drive other cars but then i talked myself out of it. Then i read a quote on my post and thought i'm sure it was more than that i worte. Hence i seen i'd missed a bit out.

Man of Honour
Memphis said:
The OP does not have DOC cover for anything other than a hire car or a courtesy car.

He can not just drive any other car.

Simple as really.

No, that is NOT what the policy says.

It is VERY poorly worded indeed and slightly ambigious but I would suggest what it means is, worded in the worst way ever, he can drive any vehicle which he does not own and which is not hired or leased to him.

Additional cover :- the policyholder may also drive a motor car not belonging to him or her under a hire purchase agreement or a vehicle leasing argeement.

IE, a car which does NOT belong to him under a hire purchase agreement.

Think about it logically - being insured for driving other vehicles ONLY if provided under a hire purchase agreement would make NO sense at all - think what HP is - it's simply lease cars or buying a car from a main dealer under hire purchase, why would they only offer other car cover for this... it makes no sense.

IMHO, it's the worlds worst wording and you should phone or check. It has NOTHING to do with courtesy cars whatsoever, or regular hire cars..

It is NOT worded correctly to state you can only drive other cars if they are lease/hire cars, it doesn't say that.

Back
Top Bottom