Replacement Chipset Cooler for DFI-NF4

Associate
I'm on a fan replacing roll here!

I'm looking to replace the stock chipset fan now as its noisy, and the chipset is hot to boot. There doesn't seem to be a lot to choose from, (Jing Ting looks nice, but impossible to get & expensive?) and there is the clearance issue because my 6800 overhangs the chipset. Out of the stuff sold on OCUK, what would you reccomend? thanks ;)

Associate
I fitted a Zalman NB47J Northbridge heatsink to my DFI which works well. However, I do have a 120mm fan that blows over my 2 7800GT's and thus also provides some cooling for the NB. I'd say it can sit anywhere between 35 and 45 depending on ambient temp and if I'm gaming. Without the fan it can idle around the early 40's.

Don't forget to use Artic Silver!!!

Associate
OP
Did you have to bend/cut the some of the prongs on that bad boy to get it to clear the GFX? My card overhangs quite a bit, and I'm planning to put an artic silencer on it so that might make putting one of those large heatsinks on a a bit tricky.

Any suggestions for a fan about the same size as the stock one?

thanks

Caporegime
I have this board and ill never understand what drove them to design it to be under a full PCIe slot.

check DFI street forums on custom cooling for the chip theres plenty of posts .

Mul

Mul

Associate
Are you running in SLI Mode? How about Setting the Jumpers to Dual graphics mode and sticking your single 6800 in the bottom slot. Runs in PCI-e 8x and you don't lose any performance. Then you can quite happily fit any chipset cooler.

Mul

Associate
OP
I think I might go with the vantec, rather than the zalman passive one, the chipset is pretty hot as it is!

If I get stuck for space I will try swapping to the bottom slot. thanks!

Back
Top Bottom