Red Hot Chilli Peppers accused of plagiarism

Associate
I heard that the other day (I think - the link didn't download right for me, but I got a bit of it). Was going to post it here, but did a search and found it had already been posted, so I didn't bother. :)

I think that clip may be misleading, much as I hate to say it. I would genuinely love to see them sued for plagir...erm...copying a song or something, since I just don't like them, but if you compare the Tom Petty song with the RHCP song in their entirity, they don't sound all that similar to me. I'm not entirely sure of this, but the RHCP song sounds faster as well, when played on its own...though of course, they match up in that clip, so what do I know. :o

They're *similar*, I think, but in my opinion, they're not as similar as that clip makes them sound. I may be talking rubbish, however, I do that a lot. ;)

Actually, I played both tracks at the same time on my PC just now (using different programs) and the Tom Petty one was definitely slower, that much I can say for certain. :confused:

Permabanned
tTz said:
I heard that the other day (I think - the link didn't download right for me, but I got a bit of it). Was going to post it here, but did a search and found it had already been posted, so I didn't bother. :)

I think that clip may be misleading, much as I hate to say it. I would genuinely love to see them sued for plagir...erm...copying a song or something, since I just don't like them, but if you compare the Tom Petty song with the RHCP song in their entirity, they don't sound all that similar to me. I'm not entirely sure of this, but the RHCP song sounds faster as well, when played on its own...though of course, they match up in that clip, so what do I know. :o

They're *similar*, I think, but in my opinion, they're not as similar as that clip makes them sound. I may be talking rubbish, however, I do that a lot. ;)

Actually, I played both tracks at the same time on my PC just now (using different programs) and the Tom Petty one was definitely slower, that much I can say for certain. :confused:

But speeding it up and slowing it down is irrelevant surely?

What if I took a song, wrote different lyrics, but sped it up.. would that be fair? I think not..

axe

axe

Suspended
iCraig said:
But speeding it up and slowing it down is irrelevant surely?

What if I took a song, wrote different lyrics, but sped it up.. would that be fair? I think not..

that would be called a Remix

Associate
Point taken, I'm just taking issue with the claim that the tempo is identical.

That said, I'm having second thoughts now. I've mixed them together myself, but I'm finding it difficult to listen to two tracks at the same time. :p

:edit:

Okay, I think they're extremely close, but not identical. That, of course, could be down to me mixing it slightly out of time, but the drum and bass of Dani California seem to fit with the other one, albeit not very comfortably. So basically what I'm saying is, I don't really know, and checking it out for myself was a waste of time. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Its not that similar, I think a better one is:

Lou Reed & Velvet Underground - Waiting For The Man
Oasis - Mucky Fingers

:)

That said the chilli peppers would not really have an excuse for not knowing Tom Petty. :p

Associate
I still think the intro sounds like Sweet Home Alabama, though less and less people seem to be agreeing with that. Including the radio presenter. :p

Associate
Phnom_Penh said:
They both mention her momma :eek:.

That made me laugh..! As the guy says it as if it's the defining concrete evidence!!

..I listened to it and I'll say the two songs backing music is pretty damn close, but then again it is quite easy for two people to write very similar songs using standard 'techniques'. For example I wrote a song and played it to a local band who are 'muso's' ..and they said hang on that sounds just like "Disarm - Smashing Pumpkins" I was like who!? (at the time, this is going back quite a few years now.. I hadn't heard of them!)

Sooo I listened to it and to be honest.. it was a VERY similar chord progression with an identical rhythm etc.. but yet I had never heard the song. So of course it's possible RHCP's Dani California is coincidently similar..

Although they may well have copied or been influenced by it, who knows!

;)

Soldato
vaultingSlinky said:
im sorry but so much music sounds similar, as has been said...there are only so many chords you can use.

And to be honest Dani California is true to RHCP's style. I doubt that they intentionally ripped off someone elses music.

I have to agree. Im fans of both artists and it never once occured to me that dani california was a rip off of mary jane. Have you heard the chorus' by the way? They are completely different!!!! To suggest that the song is a rip off displays an totally ignorant attitude because as you say, there are so many chord variations you can use. I also notice, they had to speed up mary jane to get it to the same ptich as dani california. I can not tell you how many times I have heard a chord progression used in different songs or a riff or groove, do people seriously believe every time its a case of plagarism? I dont believe it. Besides, go listen to the original Mary Janes Last Dance and you'll see how different it actually sounds to Dani California - so the hell what if it used a similar chord progression in the verse!!

Soldato
SidewinderINC said:
check the chord progression of "Knockin on heavens door" whichever version you want, and then check the chord progression of "rise" by gabrielle.

i dont think RHCP have done much wrong here.

The problem is that RHCP didn't credit Tom Petty at all, but Gabrielle did actually get Dylan's permission to sample his song.

Back
Top Bottom