Opinions on : Honda Civic 1.6 VTEC Sport (2002-2005)

Associate
Passed one in the garage the other day 2004 79,000 miles for £8k, went to look at it and i thought it was mint but milleage was too high.

Been searching on the net and found one private 2004 28k for 8k aswell.
I currently have a 2003 Corsa SXI with 32k miles on the clock, nothing wrong with it just fancy a change. It has FVSH and is in quite good condition, couple of chips here and there obviously. How much would i get for my car they are going for roughly 4k on autotrader.

So do you think its a good choice to move on, reason i wanna get rid of my car is that i just fancy a change, its rubbish on petrol, only manage to get 30ish mpg. Whereas the civic is a honda! yeppie very realiable, 43mpg, vtec engine, looks good, bigger car, more refined. Is it worth the £4k extra? Im 21 had an insurance quote for £900 with out even looking far, but its a group insurance 6.

Opinions on the car guys???

Cheers

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

sport with optional alloys

2006_0529image0003.jpg

2006_0529image0004.jpg

Associate
Used to have one of these before I put it in a field, but I liked it.

Good Points:
Looks like a Type-R
Good Economy
Alright Handling
Reasonably quick (as quick as you can expect from a 1.6)
For that price it's good

Bad Points:
Looks like a Type-R so people try and race you, and you lose.
Horrific turning circle like a lot of modern Hondas
Probably not as good to drive as a focus for the same money.
Very thin paint so stone chips aplenty, but touch-up paint is cheap from Honda.

Can answer in a little more detail at specific questions if you wish :)

Associate
I really like the shape of the civic....especially the Type-rs. I myself comtemplated a Civic Sport last year but thought instead I would wait for a Civic Type-R EP3 but now my goal posts have moved again to the new 2007 Civic Type-R since it looks awesome, just hope its awesome to drive which I am sure it will be if they sort out the rear suspension. (5dr has torsion beam)

If I was you I would really look around for your insurance since £900 seems abit high at 21. I had a look for a quote on a civic type-r facelift model for when I am 21 (later this year) and with tescos was £805.....pre-facelift was £750 (but will have 4 years no claims).

If you can justify the extra £4k I would do it. Its a much nicer looking car than the Corsa IMO. Plus as you say is a bigger car and will very reliable! If you dont want a huge power increase then is definitely an excellent upgrade :D

Man of Honour
Looks like all the disadvantages of a Type R (Plastic interior, MPV-breadvan looks, silly gear lever) with none of the advantages (awesome performance and handling, etc etc).

Soldato
The Civic sport is so nice. You could go for a focus.......if you wanted to see another 10 billion cars just like yours on the road each day. Brother has a Civic Sport but Honda fitted all the type r features to it (apart from engine). Gearstick is absolutely awesome, first time you look at it, you think "wtf how does THAT work" but it really is very good. Good insurance group, very nice looks, good handling (get some good tyres for it though cos the standards aren't good at ALL in the wet).

Arc

Arc

Associate
[TW]Fox said:
Looks like all the disadvantages of a Type R (Plastic interior, MPV-breadvan looks, silly gear lever) with none of the advantages (awesome performance and handling, etc etc).

You seem to have some of them the wrong way around ;). The dash mounted gear lever works really well, it looks like it shouldnt but it does. Go drive a Civic, you'll be surprised.

Also, the handling is subjective. Its not as good as it could be, just a tad too stiff for UK roads. For track day use though, you'll be laughing.

Gaygle said:
The Civic sport is so nice. You could go for a focus.......if you wanted to see another 10 billion cars just like yours on the road each day.

Funny, I thought the Civic was a mass produced car just like the focus, theres plenty of them about ;).

Man of Honour
Gaygle said:
The Civic sport is so nice. You could go for a focus.......if you wanted to see another 10 billion cars just like yours on the road each day.

Whereas you never see Civics, yea right :p

Not that I give a stuff how many other cars there are but if you are bothered by that surely the fact that when you do see a Civic on the road it's taking Ethel to Bingo would be a far greater turn off.

Soldato
you see plenty of civics, but its the Civic sports and type r's you don't see as often. Every tom, dick and harry has a focus. i can name about 10 people i know off the top of my head now who have focus's but i could only name one who owns a Civic Sport.

BTW not "dissing" focus's at all - fantastic cars (especially the RS's and ST's). My personal preference is the Ford Fiesta ST's at the moment. they look tip top.

EDIT: For the car to look any different from the normal Civics, get the alloys in the picture at the top :D

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:

I have to agree. Although i do like the way the current EP style Civics look.

And as per your comment about everyone having a focus, yes, thats true, almost everyone at my work has one too, but have you ever thought thats because they are such a dam good car ?

Soldato
James_N said:
And as per your comment about everyone having a focus, yes, thats true, almost everyone at my work has one too, but have you ever thought thats because they are such a dam good car ?

Yeah definately, not disputing that at all :). Just i think if i was handing over 8 grand i'd want something maybe a little bit different.

OcUK Staff
Hi there

My mum just bought one of these!

She got it for £9750 direct from Honda, its a 2005 with 6000 miles on the clock and got a great trade in of 4.5k for an 03 MG ZR105+ with 44k on the clock. So got a great deal.

I took the Civic out for a drive now remember I am use to high powered cars.
First of all the Civic Sport is a 1.6 i-vtec so there is no cross-over/kick, throttle response is a bit laggy but the car pulls well upto redline. The handling is very good with good positive steering feedback and a nice gear change. Plus you've got Honda Reliability and Sporty looks for just an insurance GRP 6 car. :)

Soldato
Gaygle said:
Just i think if i was handing over 8 grand i'd want something maybe a little bit different.

True, especially as it sounds like the OP is wanting to change cars for the hell of it, i mean, £4k extra for the civic just so that it does 13mpg more than his current car? sounds mad to me but each to their own.

Soldato
Agreed with James_N. I think its a bit pointless, but then again, it isn't my 8 grand. Also, the Civic sport above is 2 years old and has nearly 80,000 miles.....steer clear!

Civic sport = Yes
THAT (the mileage) civic sport = no

Wouldn't you rather save money for another year and have 5 years NCB be 22 and have a nicer car (obviously depending on how much u can save in a year). I know i'd probably rather wait and get an even better car....or at least have a little money left over for overheads.

Back
Top Bottom