Big Bang In Antarctica: Killer Crater Found Under Ice

Soldato
Link Me Baby

Planetary scientists have found evidence of a meteor impact much larger and earlier than the one that killed the dinosaurs -- an impact that they believe caused the biggest mass extinction in Earth's history.

The 300-mile-wide crater lies hidden more than a mile beneath the East Antarctic Ice Sheet. And the gravity measurements that reveal its existence suggest that it could date back about 250 million years -- the time of the Permian-Triassic extinction, when almost all animal life on Earth died out.

Its size and location -- in the Wilkes Land region of East Antarctica, south of Australia -- also suggest that it could have begun the breakup of the Gondwana supercontinent by creating the tectonic rift that pushed Australia northward.

Permabanned
If true then does this mean that life has found a way to prosper after two almost complete exterminations of all life?
It certainly make me wonder how the Earth can be the only planet in the universe with advanced life forms...

Associate
VIRII said:
It certainly make me wonder how the Earth can be the only planet in the universe with advanced life forms...
That's because we aren't.

Think about it, millions upon millions of stars in our galaxy. Millions upon millions of galaxies in the known universe (the number could even be limitless). Each star could have anything from 1 to 20 space bodies (planets) orbiting it. Any one of those planets could support "life".

Some of those planets could even support advanced life. Just maybe, there is another advanced civilization out there...

What cooks my noggin is when I think of space. How can something be limitless? It must have an end somewhere. Such thoughts are beyond human comprehension I think...

Anyway, I'm straying off point :o

Soldato
Cueball said:
That's because we aren't.

Think about it, millions upon millions of stars in our galaxy. Millions upon millions of galaxies in the known universe (the number could even be limitless). Each star could have anything from 1 to 20 space bodies (planets) orbiting it. Any one of those planets could support "life".

Some of those planets could even support advanced life. Just maybe, there is another advanced civilization out there...

What cooks my noggin is when I think of space. How can something be limitless? It must have an end somewhere. Such thoughts are beyond human comprehension I think...

Its uncompreanable (sp). I agree there is a great chance of advanced life. The size is too huge to appreciate.

+44

Associate
Cueball said:

Well actually afaik scientists actually reckon space is finite and/or wraps around on itself like a doughnut or tube. So what cooks my noggin is not an infinite universe, but a finite one.

Whats outside the boundaries of the universe? Our brain being part of a 4 dimensional universe just cannot comprehend it. Whats outside the universe. Nothingness? What is nothingness? Why is there a physical universe as opposed to nothingness? Sure whynot.............[BRAIN EXPLODES]

Just think, The universes atoms have over billions of years randomly organised themselves, culminating in the universes' atoms developing self awareness. This Brain of the universe is.........US! (and any other sentient intelligent life that is out there :D )

Soldato
Calibos said:
Just think, The universes atoms have over billions of years randomly organised themselves, culminating in the universes' atoms developing self awareness. This Brain of the universe is.........US! (and any other sentient intelligent life that is out there :D )

I'm incredibly jet lagged having just flown back from the US. I managed to get a few hours sleep but alas no longer, I am now in walking zombie mode so please forgive my poor explanation of this...

I know what you mean Calibos I just feel like being a little pedantic, I hope you don't mind. :p

Actually the universe started out very organised. In fact the moment of the big bang was what can be considered the ultimate source of "low-entropy" or most organised the constituents of the universe have ever been. Systems evolve to be more disorganised over time, they evolve towards "high-entropy". In accordance with the second law of thermodynamics the universe has gradually been getting more and more disorganised overall.

Now it's brain-ache time. :D

Bes

Bes

Soldato
Lostcorpse said:
Link Me Baby

Planetary scientists have found evidence of a meteor impact much larger and earlier than the one that killed the dinosaurs -- an impact that they believe caused the biggest mass extinction in Earth's history.

The 300-mile-wide crater lies hidden more than a mile beneath the East Antarctic Ice Sheet. And the gravity measurements that reveal its existence suggest that it could date back about 250 million years -- the time of the Permian-Triassic extinction, when almost all animal life on Earth died out.

Its size and location -- in the Wilkes Land region of East Antarctica, south of Australia -- also suggest that it could have begun the breakup of the Gondwana supercontinent by creating the tectonic rift that pushed Australia northward.
interesting- Kudos for finding it :)

Soldato
Calibos said:
Well actually afaik scientists actually reckon space is finite and/or wraps around on itself like a doughnut or tube. So what cooks my noggin is not an infinite universe, but a finite one.

Whats outside the boundaries of the universe? Our brain being part of a 4 dimensional universe just cannot comprehend it. Whats outside the universe. Nothingness? What is nothingness? Why is there a physical universe as opposed to nothingness? Sure whynot.............[BRAIN EXPLODES]

That's what happens to me..

I just collapse and start shaking :o

Doesn't work :p

Soldato
greenlizard0 said:
That's awesome :)

Sort of off on a tangent, but doesn't antarctica have those weird rivers that flow uphill, and giant pockets of saltwater that never freezes?

That would be fun to watch :D

edit; infact.. I would pay good money to see that.

Back
Top Bottom