Solid state HD

Associate
Seems like they will be comming down in price... less noise for ez482... was wondering though, could you not use a Compact flash card to boot windows from as your only hard drive, then have a file server to do the rest??? would it be slow at only 10mbsec?

1gb solid state hard drive would do but even they are crazy in price, samsung and sony to throw them in laptops this year should see a price fall

Soldato
you can run windows off solid state devices. i tihnk you need the embedded version of windows, or at least a modified version of XP to stop it reading and writing to the disk as much (extends memory card life as they only have so many number of reads and writes before they start to break down)

check out google or windows forum for more info

Soldato
I cant see any reason why you couldnt, im aware of OS's that you can run on USB keysticks, so no reason why Windows wouldnt work on it

Soldato
it's because a normal version of XP will have a page file being written to all the time - and solid state drives are only good for a couple of thousand writes.

fini

Soldato
fini said:
it's because a normal version of XP will have a page file being written to all the time - and solid state drives are only good for a couple of thousand writes.

fini
are you sure? I was under the impression solid state hard disks are like normal system ram but obviously dont lose their settings when they are unplugged.
Not sure ive ever seen anyone talk about that before o_0

Soldato
fini said:

fini
not any more, I believe. You could always disable paging.

Back
Top Bottom