£350 bike decision help please

Associate
I'm looking for a new bike (first bike for at least 15 years) and I need some advice. I intend to use the bike for riding to work, so mostly road stuff, but also possibly some towpath stuff. I have no great desire to go hardcore offroad but who knows so I've decided to get a mountain bike because of that rather than a hybrid.

I was looking to spend around £350 but can push it to £370. Seems like a reasonable sum to me without getting into silly money. I've basically narrowed it down to the GT Avalanche 2.0 Disc (2006), the Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (2006) or the Trek 4300 Disc (2006).

Would you recommend any of these above the other two or should I be looking for something else?

Soldato
Well i recently spent £300 on a Specialized Hard Rock Sport, reason for not getting the Disc was because i do not like cable disks. The 4300 is a decent bike. Im sure some other guys will comment about it all too. But for £299.99 i found the Specialized HR Sport an amazing bike.

s-

Permabanned
Sorry to pounce on the thread but I am too looking at getting a bike.

Im a bit confused as to what is what and what i should be looking for, bikes seem so different to when i ast had one ten years ago!

It will be used for leisure purposes, on road and cycle/tow paths.

I also have a similar budget, upto £350.

Thanks!

Associate
OP
Slinwagh said:
And at the risk of looking daft.....

What are they?

A make and model of bike... Specialized Hardrock

Thanks for the feedback all. Really unsure still but, Breamy, your Trek 4500 2005 suggestion is one I'd seen and am really considering. I've had a bit of a rethink about finances and the other one (as well as my original suggestions) are a bit overbudget as I have to include helmet and lock in all of this. The Specialized Hardrock Sport (without discs) is now on the possible list.

I'm waiting to hear back from work if they'll do the Ride2Work scheme so I may be able to afford something a bit better but HR seem to have disapperared for the last two weeks.

Suspended
For late £300's I would stay hard tail and if disc's are an option I'd personally stay away from them if they are cable disc's.

Cable disc's are in the same league as V-Brakes so if they are an option i'd try to save money there and improve something else. If you have disc's try for hydraulic disc's.

And as said look into the last years ranges as the technology on cheaper bikes won't improve much from year to year.

Back
Top Bottom