Nokia E61 & T-Mobile

Associate
Hi, I've got a few questions:

1. Does anyone know a date for the E61 on T-Mobile? Obviously it is out on Vodafone already and coming soon on O2, Three, Orange and T-Mobile. But for me the T-Mobile tariffs are the best and the webnwalk is second to none.

2. If I was to buy a SIM free E61, could I stick a SIM from a T-Mobile 6280 say, into it? The guy in the shop today told me that webnwalk wouldn't work if I did this but I'm farely sure that he is wrong...

3. Finally, how does the E61 work with non-push email? Do you have to manually click 'send and receive' or is the only way to go through the internet?

Any help much appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

Associate
spencermarley said:
Hi, I've got a few questions:

2. If I was to buy a SIM free E61, could I stick a SIM from a T-Mobile 6280 say, into it? The guy in the shop today told me that webnwalk wouldn't work if I did this but I'm farely sure that he is wrong...

Any help much appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

This is relevant to me because i am intending to get a Web n walk contract and buy a sim free phone seperately from somewhere else. So i asked a question on their website about it. I'll let you know if and when i get a reply.

Caporegime
spencermarley said:
2. If I was to buy a SIM free E61, could I stick a SIM from a T-Mobile 6280 say, into it? The guy in the shop today told me that webnwalk wouldn't work if I did this but I'm farely sure that he is wrong... :)

Well hes talking absolute BS tbh mate, it doesnt matter which phone you use on the web n walk tarriff, its all down to the sim card etc.

I asked this same question to tmobile cs when i joined up with their tariff, they said it doesnt matter which phone you use as its the sim card that accesses the data or soemthing like that. For the record i had a tmobile branded w810i whcih i de-branded...got rid of all that nasty operator crap on there. I use my phone to get emails and browse the net on the web n walk tariff and as of yet i havent been charged for any usage.
What the guy is probably saying is because the the sim free phone wont come with any tmobile operator branding ie my w810i before i de-branded it had the web n walk application on it...so thats probably what hes talking about etc. But i still use email and net via the ordinary sony ericsson app.

Soldato
dont mean to hijack the thread or anything but could someone explain to me exactly what web n walk is? i have heard it mentioned quite a bit and wondered what it is all about

does it mean you can go on the net on your phone or something ?

also how much are the tarriffs and what handsets can use it

cheers

Associate
goody_106 said:
dont mean to hijack the thread or anything but could someone explain to me exactly what web n walk is? i have heard it mentioned quite a bit and wondered what it is all about

cheers

you can surf the internet on your phone for a fixed price p/m on top of your tmobile tariff.

Caporegime
goody_106 said:

cheers

Basically its unlimited web browsing and email etc, you can use any phone that has email and web access but you must use the tmobile sim in order for it to work.

My tariff is the flext50 with web n walk...costs me about £60 a month but i think the web n walk tariff on its own is £7.50 if im not mistaken. But dont know if you could get the tariff on its own or if you have to add it to another tariff. With my tariff i get £255 worth of call allowance and text allowance and allows me to browse the net unlimited and get unlimited emails.

Soldato
right thanks for explaining that to me - was basically what i thought it was but was unsure

so it is quite effetive as in how well does it work? what are the speeds like, availability/signal for internet etc.

does the n80 support it ?

Caporegime
goody_106 said:
right thanks for explaining that to me - was basically what i thought it was but was unsure

so it is quite effetive as in how well does it work? what are the speeds like, availability/signal for internet etc.

does the n80 support it ?

Speed is ok, not that fast as its using gprs and my phone doesnt support edge which i think is slightly faster than gprs.
Reception here in london is spot on, havent had any problems connecting to the net where ever i am.
The n80 does have internet/email access so should wokr but you would have to set it up via the operators settings etc.

Soldato
1. Does anyone know a date for the E61 on T-Mobile? Obviously it is out on Vodafone already and coming soon on O2, Three, Orange and T-Mobile. But for me the T-Mobile tariffs are the best and the webnwalk is second to none.

I don't know but it's really annoying. T-Mobile have by far the best tariffs at the moment but their range of phones is terrible! You'd think that they would love to sell all of these new Nokia smartphones with 3G and WiFi, since they would take advantage of Web'n'Walk and T-Zones really well!

As far as I know, that's absolute rubbish. It should work just fine. Make sure you get a 3G SIM if you want to use the E61's 3G features though.

3. Finally, how does the E61 work with non-push email? Do you have to manually click 'send and receive' or is the only way to go through the internet?

You can set it up to check your e-mail at whatever frequency you like. It could check your e-mail at 5 minute intervals, for example.

Caporegime
Ive been told by someone in carphone warehouse that a lot of the new Nokia smartphones (I was asking specifically about the N80) will never go on Tmobile as there is some kinda incompatibility with the new Symbian OS and Tmobiles web and walk implementation. Not sure about the details, but I know the N70 had a fair few probs on a few networks...

Tmobile have basically said to me that theres no chance of the N80 and dont even know what the E series phones are :/

Has anyone heard the same?

Looks like either I have the phone I want or the tariff, but not both even if I spent loads on a sim-free phone :mad:

ps3ud0 :cool:

Man of Honour
Tunney said:

I don't know but it's really annoying. T-Mobile have by far the best tariffs at the moment but their range of phones is terrible! You'd think that they would love to sell all of these new Nokia smartphones with 3G and WiFi, since they would take advantage of Web'n'Walk and T-Zones really well!

Part of the reason they can offer cheap tarriffs is because they don't give expensive phones out...

Soldato
Ive been told by someone in carphone warehouse that a lot of the new Nokia smartphones (I was asking specifically about the N80) will never go on Tmobile as there is some kinda incompatibility with the new Symbian OS and Tmobiles web and walk implementation.

I wouldn't trust anything a salesperson in CPW tells me, personally. :)

Part of the reason they can offer cheap tarriffs is because they don't give expensive phones out...

T-Mobile already offer the HTC Universal, Nokia N70 and Nokia 8800. These new smartphones aren't any more expensive than what's already available.

Associate
ps3ud0 said:
Ive been told by someone in carphone warehouse that a lot of the new Nokia smartphones (I was asking specifically about the N80) will never go on Tmobile as there is some kinda incompatibility with the new Symbian OS and Tmobiles web and walk implementation. Not sure about the details, but I know the N70 had a fair few probs on a few networks...

T-mobile offer the n70 on their web n walk tariff, and the n80 is virtually the same (slightly updated software), so i don't see why it couldn't work.

incidentally, does anyone know if any other networks are considering offering unlimited internet access, as this is the main reason i want the t-mobile contract anyway.

Caporegime
Zuma said:
T-mobile offer the n70 on their web n walk tariff, and the n80 is virtually the same (slightly updated software), so i don't see why it couldn't work.

incidentally, does anyone know if any other networks are considering offering unlimited internet access, as this is the main reason i want the t-mobile contract anyway.
As I understand it the N80 uses Symbian OS 9.1 while N70 only uses 8.1 - to increase the version usually its more than just bug fixes added to the OS, so its more than just slightly updated software since most apps have to be recompiled to use 9.1 AFAIK...

Incidentally the SE P990 uses the same OS version and we know how long thats been delayed now - I usually dont trust one source but it does seem the latest Nokias are being difficult to integrate onto the Orange/Tmobile networks...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Back
Top Bottom