• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

XFX GeForce 6200 OC'ing problem. :(

Associate
Hi, I just bought a XFX 6200 256mb AGP 8x a couple days ago...everything was fine with it, and then I tried to overclock it. It OC'd fine (from 350/532 to 420/620), and I was getting a pretty good FPS boost with most of my games. But now all my games hang and freeze when I try to play them? I've been greeted by BSODs about 3 times telling me "nv4_disp" or "nv4_disp.dll" have had issues.

I installed RivaTuner to unlock the OC'ing capabilities on the card. As soon as I uninstall RivaTuner and reset the clocks to default, all my games work fine again...is there no hope for me oc'ing this card?

I downloaded the latest drivers off of the Nvidia site...(84.21 I think), so I'm not sure what to do about OC'ing it...any help? Thanks in advance.

Soldato
from the sounds the card just cant take that speed, try it at 400 then test it.
work up in 5Mhz intervals and test after each increase.
use ati tool to test for artifacts

edit : just thaught, can't the 6200 be unlocked to a 6600?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well I was getting around 8fps boosts...and games were a hell of a lot smoother...it was working before, so many it was just running too high or something...

I have the newer core, so it can't be unlocked.

Associate
OP
Well on the counterstrike:source stres test, it's more like 37fps-ish, then 45fps-ish when OC'd...

Haven't really checked when playing games, but it's noticeably smoother.

Associate
A random name said:
Is there honestly any point in trying to overclock a card of this calibre? It's not really going to do anything.

if your card is fast enough then theres no need to overclock it, if the card is l
slow as hell then there is every need to overclock it

Soldato
m3csl2004 said:
if your card is fast enough then theres no need to overclock it, if the card is l
slow as hell then there is every need to overclock it
That's true.. But overclocking a higher spec card usually does more than overclocking a lower specced one from my personal experiences.

Associate
A random name said:
That's true.. But overclocking a higher spec card usually does more than overclocking a lower specced one from my personal experiences.

not in mine

my 9200se with its 64bit membus was dire, but you could actually tell the difference between 200mhz mem and 210mhz mem because of it

with my 9800pro you couldnt tell anything at all - even underclocked compared to overclocked

then it died :D :(

Associate
OP
Okay, I tried lowering the clock frequencies used, but the game's still crashed and hanged. I then tried to just leave the clock frequencies on stock settings, and the games still hanged. :/

Only after I disabled overclocking and uninstalled RivaTuner, and restarted my PC did the games stop hanging...is there not hope? :(

Associate
OP
Well even when I haven't even touched the clock frequencies, but overclocking is enabled, my games hang...so it can be that the card can't handle the speeds. :/

Associate
Try using forceware drivers 76.44 all the other drivers are locked against overclocking which will cause problems like the problem you described. Make sure you uninstall the drivers completely before installing the different drivers

Associate
I had a problem like this I took off the cooler and put some arctic silver on the gpu, temps dropped by about 10 degrees. Also if you have a fan on the cooler then that will help also

Back
Top Bottom