• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is my 7900 card borked?

Permabanned
Just got bits for my new system, installed everything fine yesterday, was working great etc. Turned my PC on this afternoon, again was fine and all of a sudden my screen went blank, monitor said "no signal", I rebooted and still nothing :mad:

Also, when my computer boots up it does one long beep then three short ones :confused:

Intel 805
Asus P5ND2 SLi
G.Skill 2GB DDR2 LA PC2-5300 (2x1GB) CAS4
BFG GeForce 7900 GT OC
Tagan TG580-U15 580W
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
Lian-Li PC-7 PLUS

Permabanned
OP
sablabra said:
Have you tried swapping graphics card? Could be anyones guess what's wrong. Elimination method is always nice :)

I've not got another graphics card but I just tried it in another system and the same thing happens.

Permabanned
OP
monkeybutt said:
Make sure it is firmly pushed in. Have you connected the power direct to the Graphics card?

Yep, it was firmly pushed in and also the card was getting power via the PCI-E psu connector.
I'm trying to find out what the beeps actually mean. :confused:

Permabanned
OP
I've managed to find details about the beeps.

Award and Phoenix BIOS:

1 short beep: Normal
2 short beeps: CMOS error
1 long and 1 short beep: DRAM error
1 long and 2 short beeps: Video card error
1 long and 3 short beeps: Keyboard error, or video card error
1 long and 9 short beeps: ROM error
Long continuous beeps: DRAM not installed correctly, bad memory, or incompatable
Short continuous beeps: Bad power supply

AMI BIOS:

none - power supply, ?motherboard, or PC speaker is no good.
1 short - system RAM Refresh failure. ?
2 short - memory error
3 short - same as 2 beeps; follow diagnosis above.
4 short - system timer error
5 short - cpu Failure. Replace the CPU or possibly the motherboard.
6 short - keyboard error
7 short - cpu or motherboard error
8 short - video card error
9 short - rom checksum error
10 short - cmos error
11 short - cache memory error
1 long, 3 short - memory test failure.
1 long, 8 short - Display test failure

This board has an AMI bios so it states a memory test failure. I actually tried without any memory but still no joy.

Soldato
Are you sure your board uses AMI? Reviews show that its award and phoenix.

You said you tried it in another system and the same thing happens. Pretty obvious its the card.

Permabanned
OP
I've been trying different things for the past few hours and I'm quite sure it's the 7900GT :(

Oh well, sent a webnote off to OCUK, just waiting for a rma number now.
If I buy another card tomorrow, can I ask for a refund from OCUK?

Soldato
maybe, when my psu decided not to work when i first built my pc (march 05) i sent it back but as i wanted to use my pc i ordered another one over the phone, but explained i was sending one back so just refund me the money. That all worked fine and i even got free postage on the new 1 i ordered so give em a ring when uve got your rma number

Permabanned
OP
Just sent an email to BFG support, hopefully get a rma number soon.

Has anyone had dealings with BFG, if so, how fast were their turnaround?

Permabanned
OP
young lad said:
Look at the lights on the back then look what they mean in the manual i had a similar problem with my RAM and found out exactly what the problem was.

Lights on the back of where?

I have tried the card on another board but still no joy.
Also, when I boot up I get one long beep and 3 short beeps............then slightly after I get the usual beep for when the computer starts, also the microsoft wireless keyboard/mouse thingy works and I can toggle numlock, capslock and "F Lock" on and off, which to me is another indicator that it is the graphics card.

Today I've ordered a X1800XT but I'm a bit pee'ved off as I have not received any shipping details from OCUK :(

Associate
asus board has an award bios

1 long and 2 short = no gfx card detected....is the fan on ** gfx card even spinning when your comp starts up?

if it is then id just say your gfx card is borked, borrow a friends or rma it

Permabanned
OP
MuSsEr said:
asus board has an award bios

1 long and 2 short = no gfx card detected....is the fan on ** gfx card even spinning when your comp starts up?

if it is then id just say your gfx card is borked, borrow a friends or rma it

It's 1 long and 3 short beeps and yes the fan on the gfx card is spinning.

I've ordered a X1800XT, will be with me tomorrow now, so hopefully that will confirm that the 7900GT is borked.

BFG just sent me my rma details, being sent off today :)

Back
Top Bottom