The official OCuK VW Split Resto thread!

Permabanned
Ok, well as she's going in next week for her respray, thought i'd better pull my finger out and strip her down to a rolling shell.

Motor is hopefully coming out tomorrow (after all, the 3 bolts holding the engine look like they are ready for some action!!).

Being a single cab pick up, there is not a lot to strip, but somehow every bolt seems to be either eternally rusted in place or just spins round and round.

Excuse the pics as they were snapped on the camera phone.

Nice rusty exhaust and headers making my life an absolute chore atm!

mark1e-engine1.jpg

Yeah....about that engine!!!

mark1e-hmmm1.jpg

And the front!

mark1e-frontage1.jpg

Yes, the 'VW' badge HAS been removed!!!

Future plans?.........................................

Permabanned
OP
Well,

THIS

mark1e-neweng.jpg
is the new 1776cc lump going in.

The reduction boxes will be staying, and everything else will be as classic as possible. Shes already a wee bit lowered at the rear, and the tyres that are on her are whitewall, they just need to be flipped round. All new chrome hub caps, etc, new door seals, new chrome badge, and the lower half will be baby blue whilst the top remains (albeit resprayed) Pearl White.

Teak slats are on their way from the US of A for the load bed, and i'm contemplating Safari windows up front, but not decided yet.

I'll keep you all posted...

Permabanned
OP
NickXX said:
Cool, didn't know you had one of these! How old is it? What colour are you going to get it resprayed in?

Nick, how ya doing?

Shes a 1962 SC Splitty, 1600TP, currently sprayed in Halfrauds White Primer!! (dont ask), but her original paint code was L 87 (Pearl White). Now I was in two minds as to keep her original or modify, and I've been advised to give her a two tone to make her slightly more appealing come resale time.

I'm not going the whole hog of restoring the underside, etc, as its in really good condition under there. No rust, no bondo (shame the same cant be said for some of the panels!), and the chassis rails are straight. She's going to have a dual circuit brake set up (single circuit atm), and all the shoes and drums are new. I'll probably just pressure washer her up. She came from Arizona, so rust is really only what shes had to endure whilst being over here!!

Hmmm, i love the smell of Swarfega..... :D

Permabanned
OP
SgtTupac said:
Gonna keep my eye on this one! Can also offer a hand if its around my/our area if you need it :)

2pac, shes back down south with me atm to get the resto done. You might see her towards the end of summer!! ;)

Soldato
Oracle said:
Nick, how ya doing?

Shes a 1962 SC Splitty, 1600TP, currently sprayed in Halfrauds White Primer!! (dont ask), but her original paint code was L 87 (Pearl White). Now I was in two minds as to keep her original or modify, and I've been advised to give her a two tone to make her slightly more appealing come resale time.

I'm not going the whole hog of restoring the underside, etc, as its in really good condition under there. No rust, no bondo (shame the same cant be said for some of the panels!), and the chassis rails are straight. She's going to have a dual circuit brake set up (single circuit atm), and all the shoes and drums are new. I'll probably just pressure washer her up. She came from Arizona, so rust is really only what shes had to endure whilst being over here!!

Hmmm, i love the smell of Swarfega..... :D

:cool:

I'd also be going for the original paint code, but probably go for two tone too. Sounds like fun - I'm thinking of getting an old Merc SEL at some point, need to do a fair bit of research into it though. How long have you had this VW?

I had a crack in the wheel of my 330 the other day - cost me £320 for a new one :mad:! Taking it down to France in a week and a half, then getting it serviced over at Sytners (got a quote of £375 for an Insp 2! :D ). I'm going to get it remapped either late June or early July, and also fitting an Alpina rear spoiler. *Might* also put it on Eibachs and get some Diamond black discs... need to stump up the cash first though!

Soldato
Nice one, didn't realise you actually had some taste in cars;). I've always liked the looks of some of the old VWs, but they're just soooooo expensive.

Reminds me, I need to update my chevette/manta thread...

Permabanned
OP
NickXX said:

Marshmule on these forums, his uncle was selling a SEC on ebay. He posted about it on here. Awesome car.

I've had the VW about 6months or so, but in storage over winter because the weather was pap!

Re the wheel; in my history of dealing with E46 3ers, thats only the 2nd time i've ever seen that! How did you come across it and did it run from surface to surface (as in completey across the top?). You are already on pretty stiff suspension, are you sure you want to hit some Eibachs!? Full kit or just lowering springs!? Hope the weather in France is good, should be ok mid June!

Soldato
Oracle said:
Re the wheel; in my history of dealing with E46 3ers, thats only the 2nd time i've ever seen that! How did you come across it and did it run from surface to surface (as in completey across the top?). You are already on pretty stiff suspension, are you sure you want to hit some Eibachs!? Full kit or just lowering springs!? Hope the weather in France is good, should be ok mid June!

It was just cracked where you can see it - just on the lip. I came across it when I had the rear tires changed (grr, I coughed up £380 for those already!), and the tyre fitter told me he couldn't fit the tyres to it.

I'm just going to go for Eibach springs, but still not sure. Hopefully one of my springs will give way soon, giving me an excuse :D

Permabanned
OP
Update, the engine has now been stripped as far back as possible and is ready to be pulled. (Its only held in with 4 17mm bolts).

The easiest way to remove it is to pull the lower bolts, then support the engine on a trolley jack (make sure the bus is on level ground), and make sure the jack is bearing the weight. Then reach around and undo the last two 17mm bolts. Its handy to have two people to help here, but its not completely neccessary). Now, the is the bit that makes doing this so much easier than a beetle. Because you can remove all the tin wear and rear valance on buses you can now just push the bus forward (this is where the level ground comes in), and the fly wheel will give off of the gearbox and the engine will remain in place and become clear from the bus. If you dont have the weight of the engine on the jack or the bus is not on level ground you can risk bending the input shaft which would be a real pain!

So, here (after moaning for an hour at the header and muffler bolts that refused to budge on the studs) is the lump about to be pulled.

mark1e-engineout.jpg

Boy, the previous American :rolleyes: owner loved Bondo!! It appears (atm) that he saw surface rust and decided to whop bondo all over the place. Fortunately, this is as bad as it gets here and the panels below are in good nick.

mark1e-bodo1.jpg

mark1e-bondo.jpg

Permabanned
OP
Time to get the Swarfega out and clean this carb up ready for sale!

mark1e-Carb.jpg

The engine will be sliding out tomorrow (fingers crossed as I ran out of patience with stuborn bolts today!). Then its time to finish off the cab area and get the dash and seats out!

Permabanned
OP
UPDATE!!

Ok, finally the engine is out! I'm pleased because after removing some ancilliaries (i have an external oil cooler for one), I just pushed the bus forward with my head whilst holding the engine in place with my hands on the jack!

mark1e-Engout1.jpg

mark1e-ummengshed.jpg

This meant that finally I could roll the bus a good distance out of the garage in order to strip the cab down.

Permabanned
OP
mark1e-Int.jpg

mark1e-int2.jpg

The door tops are all off. Cab electrics are out and ready just to be pulled through and wrapped around the front beam.

All being well, tomorrow will be windscreen glass, seats, pedals, gear stick and handbrake. The steering wheel is an absolute whore to remove so the garage will take that off if they need to.

Then off she'll go, ready for spraying, etc, etc....

Soldato
Can I recommend an alternative to keeping the original colour and going two-tone on the paint?

Go two-tone white. It makes for a REALLY cool look, especially at night.

Go for pearl white on the lower and titanium white on the upper.

Soldato
Oh, and if you're shy any of the mechanicals, try these guys. I can act as your shipping address for you if you want, and then post them on to you from here.

They've got ALL the toys you'd ever want for VW's. :)

Well, they're a little lacking in the bus body parts nowadays, but they've got LOTS of stuff for the engine!! ;)

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Excellent. Thanks Mickey. There is some stuff i'll be needing. I might also use wolfsburg west who are in the states. So i'll let you know if thats alright.

Back
Top Bottom