VOIP - benefits

Associate
Hi,

We have been looking into VoIP in our school too.

One of the main benefits we saw was you could transfer your telephone number to different telephones by logging onto them.

If you have classrooms/offices with only one network point you can split that point to run a PC (10/100) and the telephone together. This basically just utilises the other spare pair in the cable.

I believe its Executel(?) we are dealing with. They claim its going to drastically reduce our phone bill.

Caporegime
hybrid said:
This basically just utilises the other spare pair in the cable.

Not even. You could quite happily run the IP telephony over the same pair as the data network.

Suspect that's the biggest thing for most commerical setups - you can run a lot of phones over an existing network without spending money building two separate networks.

Soldato
derbyjake said:
depends realy some IP systems run on dedicated VOIP switches in the server room for instance a call centre, So a seperate pair is used :p so the rep is probly rite

Thats probably usually implemented if the VOIP system is going to take up a lot of bandwidth. For a small system you could happily run it over exisiting cable. If you going to have 150 users etc on it then you'd probably need it on a seperate network / cable etc.

Associate
yeah but sounds like its a company coming into do it and i imagaine a school will do it to most if not all rooms so i hazard guess at 50+ extensions at least,

i guess it depends what equipment/appliance is being used for it all

Caporegime
Nothing stopping you using VLANs or whatever, and you could have separate VoIP kit in the background to your heart's content.
It's certainly not a technical requirement that data and voice don't mix. They're both IP traffic after all...

Back
Top Bottom