More running advice...

Soldato
Having extended my regular runs now up to 7.5m I am still having a problem with stitches/cramps in my legs...

I noticed that my legs were hurting for a few days afterwards, and that it was in specific 'lines' down my calf rather than the whole muscle itself...

What I think is happening is that I am having stitch/cramp type things as I run that I am just not paying too much attention to, and then running through them - excercising THROUGH the cramps causes mild damage that takes a few days to heal up...

I stretch fully before a run, and have both a warm-up and cool-down - can anyone reccommend any other way of avoiding cramps or stitches?

Associate
What about you eating habits. Do you eat before a run? Do you eat too much? If you have eaten do you give yourself a couple of hours before you start to run? Do you drink plenty?

I know people who run around the park as I do employ different breathing techniques. Could help.

Soldato
OP
Voy06 said:
What about you eating habits. Do you eat before a run? Do you eat too much? If you have eaten do you give yourself a couple of hours before you start to run? Do you drink plenty?

I do often eat before a run.
I usually drink a lot after a run.

I know people who run around the park as I do employ different breathing techniques. Could help.

I've read about this, but I am unsure what you would mean by breathing techniques?

Soldato
OP
IceBus said:
Also, are you fully stretching out your calves?

I stretch my calves for about 15- 20 seconds in each position, and use about 3 positions to stretch lower calf, upper calf (soleus, gastrocnemius respectively) and an overall stretch that a physio reccommended... doesn't seem to have effected what happens.

Perhaps I need to be very concious about a cramp coming on, then stop running and stretch it...

Associate
you need to fully hydrate all day, especially during this warm weather :)
try a dilute elctrolyte drink to replace lost salts and minerals.

with regards to breathing try to avoid shallow breathes in time with your stride but deep diaphragm moving breaths that are constant it takes some practice and concentration. I achieved it on my bike and has completely changed my exercising and through to my running too.

Soldato
It sounds to me like you are not staying hydrated as you jog which will lead to you getting cramps. Bring a small bottle of water with you and take small sips as you jog, otherwise you'll let your body dehydrate and it will affect your jogging. Number 1 rule, never let yourself dehydate, it's better to stay hydrated than drinks lots of water straight after exercising. :)

Soldato
OP
Tony Soprano said:
It sounds to me like you are not staying hydrated as you jog which will lead to you getting cramps. Bring a small bottle of water with you and take small sips as you jog, otherwise you'll let your body dehydrate and it will affect your jogging. Number 1 rule, never let yourself dehydate, it's better to stay hydrated than drinks lots of water straight after exercising. :)

It could be... the running is the only thing that I do for an extended peroid constantly... and I dont usually take liquid with me. I would run up to an hour and not drink until i get back...

Back
Top Bottom