Which watercooling pump

Associate
Hi guys, I'm putting together a custom single loop watercooling setup to cool the cpu only, but cant decide which pump to go for. I'm looking at the c-systems mag pump, read a few reviews and it stacks up well to other pumps in real world watercooling systems with restrictive blocks etc...

systemcooling.com test setup
Pump (connected to reservoir) > 18” Tube > Black Ice Extreme Radiator > 12” Tube > Maze3 Waterblock > 18” Tube > Graduated 5 gallon bottle......

pumpflowrate9np.jpg

also its damn cheap!! Only concern is reliability, ive also read that these pumps have been known to only last a month!! but apparently this was due to some review samples leaking out to the public sector (100 or so units)
has any one purchased one recently but not to recently that they cant vouch for its reliability over a good time period?

Cheers guys!

Man of Honour
personnally i would get the DDC or D5, but the CSP mag has supposedly been improved to not leak or break but dont know many people who have them most i know go for the more obvious pumps like above

Associate
OP
jellybeard999 said:
50z is good, but makes a bit of noise, not too loud, but im using 5v Yate Loon 120mms lol...

im replacing my 50z with dual DDC w/ 1/2" top in series :)

was actually thinkin about dual mags, as they dump so little heat into the cooling system (around 4 times less power consumption than one d5).
You could get silly flow from 2 in a restrictive system, but if reliability is still an issue that would be a stupid plan.

2 ddc's would be just a little more power hungry than one 50z, and as both produce about the same head pressure, 2 would be insane. Sounds like a plan. 100+ bux though!

Soldato
Hesky82 said:
was actually thinkin about dual mags, as they dump so little heat into the cooling system (around 4 times less power consumption than one d5).
You could get silly flow from 2 in a restrictive system, but if reliability is still an issue that would be a stupid plan.

2 ddc's would be just a little more power hungry than one 50z, and as both produce about the same head pressure, 2 would be insane. Sounds like a plan. 100+ bux though!

nabbed a pair 2nd hand for 60 :)

Permabanned
Nothing wrong with the csp ;)

People dont use them because other people dont use them.

If you ahve looked at the figures and you like it, get it.

I have had a few of them and never been let down, and its TINY!!

Great pump

Tom

Man of Honour
There is a new pump out now, the Laing S6-Pump. It pumps 3100Lph with a head height of 6.1M. It also costs a ridiculous £150.34 (ex VAT), but what a beast.

The 50z is an excellent pump and can be quietened quite significantly by placing some noise absorbent foam between it and whatever you are mounting it on.

Soldato
pastymuncher said:
There is a new pump out now, the Laing S6-Pump. It pumps 3100Lph with a head height of 6.1M. It also costs a ridiculous £150.34 (ex VAT), but what a beast.

The 50z is an excellent pump and can be quietened quite significantly by placing some noise absorbent foam between it and whatever you are mounting it on.

no mate, i have my 50z properly mounted, its the whine you cant get rid of, not D4 whiney, but not silent either :rolleyes:

Soldato
jellybeard999 said:
no mate, i have my 50z properly mounted, its the whine you cant get rid of, not D4 whiney, but not silent either :rolleyes:

Ditto.

My two are surrounded by foam and then inside an aluminium box. They just emit a slight high-pitched whirr.

Associate
OP
welshtom said:
Nothing wrong with the csp ;)

People dont use them because other people dont use them.

If you ahve looked at the figures and you like it, get it.

that was my thinkin, people who actually have them really like them it seems.

pastymuncher said:

I think the laing s5 and s6's are 230v only though, and really only can be mounted externally due to there size, I'm guessin there pretty noisy to. spec wise theres no touching them i bet.

Associate
I am changing my 50z for a modded ddc-1 plus due to noise issues as well.

Laing DDC-1Plus With Radiical Plexi Top ½” Barbs (top mount inlet - side mount outlet) gives you 14.5 LPM,

Thats compared to a Laing D5 (set @ no 5) = 16.4 LPM.

Why have 2 in series?????

Soldato
pastymuncher said:

its mains..... :(

Man of Honour
In my honest opinion the new Laing D5 vario is the best pump on the market due to value for money and performance. The D4 Basic is a close second with the AQZ 50z following in third place. All the pumps have pros and cons but the Vario is definitely the best of the bunch.

Associate
OP
philstanbridge said:
In my honest opinion the new Laing D5 vario is the best pump on the market due to value for money and performance. The D4 Basic is a close second with the AQZ 50z following in third place. All the pumps have pros and cons but the Vario is definitely the best of the bunch.

the d4 just isnt cheap enough to think about imo, for the same price you can nab a swiftech 655 d5, which is also about the same price as the ultra ddc to, d5 maybe not as quiet but is more powerful.

thinkin d5 or mag simply for price/performance, gotta twiddle my thumbs for now though, as no one seems to have them in stock, well the places with the right prices anyway :)

Associate
OP
Now ive sort of decided which pump to get I might as well list the rest of the bits I plan to get and see what you guys think...

-AlphaCool NexXxoS XP cpu block with 1/4" BSPP to 1/2" barbs - ihs'less friendly I've been told and pretty cheap for a top performing block.

-AlphaCool NexXxoS Xtreme II Radiator with 2x120mm fans - copper where it matters and there cheap cheap cheap.

-Swiftech micro reservoir - cheap and look easy to fill.

Half inch pvc pipe work

and whats left in my bottle of red line water wetter I used for my VR6 coolant system a while ago.

Back
Top Bottom