• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6800GT borked?

Associate
Hi all, I hope you can help me with this problem...

I'm running a 6800 GT on an Asus A8V mobo, 1gb geil value, A64 3200+...been working swimmingly for over a year and a bit...suddenly when I started playing HL2 episode 1 today, the screen goes black and it hard crashes. Then refuses to boot, and my mobo says there's a VGA error. So I remove the 6800GT (quite hot), leave it to cool, try again - same error message. I tried it in another computer and it doesn't work, but my 9800 pro boots fine in this.

Anyone have any ideas as to the problem? And if so....would it be better in this situation to just spend £270ish and buy a new PCI-E mobo and 7900GT, as opposed to buying a 7800GS AGP? Thanks...

-C

Caporegime
Yes if your willing to do that, then id say definately go for the PCI-E motherboard, but id also go for the x1800 XT 256mb instead of the 7900 GT, as its faster, and cheaper. :)

Does sound like its given up the ghost though, if it doesn't work in another machine. :(

Last edited:
Permabanned
Definately sounds as though it's dead mate :( And I agree with LoadsaMoney in that you should make the move to PCI-E now while you might still be able to sell your old AGP stuff second hand to re-coup SOME of your expenditures ;)

Associate
I have one of these cards also and have noticed an increase in these failing. Would it be worth my while putting a new cooler on it as its sitting warmer now than before. 64 on desktop 90 full load even with 2 80mm fans blowing round it.

Soldato
Wouldn't there be any possibility of doing an RMA on your card?

I know that some manufacturers (eg. XFX, BFG) give their cards two or three year or sometimes even lifetime warranties.

What make card do you have?

Back
Top Bottom