Please help me to decide

Associate
Hi,

As I'm about to build my first PC, I would like to purchase a good LCD monitor.

There are a few models that have been recommended in these forums and I’m tempted to go for the ViewSonic VX2025 (20” Widescreen) but have these individual queries which I hope someone can clarify for me below.

As my first monitor, which may be my only monitor for a few years, is it a good idea to go for a 20” widescreen version? I personally like the looks of the VX2025, seems to be highly praised generally and I could even stretch my budget to over £300.

- But how common is the Backlit Bleed problem with the VX2025, which is what most people are complaining about?
- Is it something I will notice when the monitor is on or off?
- Will this damage the monitor in the long term?
- Will a more powerful graphics card be needed for this monitor? If so, which are recommended?
- Does the monitor come with a DVI cable?
- I understand the internal speakers aren’t too good and really need external ones for watching movies, etc.
- In case I don’t go for the VX2025, what are my 20” WS monitor alternatives?
- And 19” monitor alternatives (normal & WS)?

I just want to be rest assured that I will make a right decision and have no regrets.

Thanks.

Man of Honour
Big Dee said:
As my first monitor, which may be my only monitor for a few years, is it a good idea to go for a 20” widescreen version? I personally like the looks of the VX2025, seems to be highly praised generally and I could even stretch my budget to over £300.

If you're looking to invest in a nice screen for a few years then the 20"WS sector is a good bet. It would be an advantage to have the WS format as much content (both gaming and video) is in this format nowadays and the extra size and resolution is very nice to have for all uses.

- But how common is the Backlit Bleed problem with the VX2025, which is what most people are complaining about?

there's some reports of backlight bleed issues, and general panel uniformity problems, but it's very hard to guage the extent of this. If you are unlucky enough to recieve a model with bad issues then VS are normally pretty good at swapping kit oout and offer a good returns system on the most part. It's something to be wary of, but don't let it totally put you off the purchase of an otherwise very good screen.

- Is it something I will notice when the monitor is on or off?

only when the monitor is on, and mostly only with dark scenes / black screens. It's where you can see the backlight shining through the edges of the panel giving the impression of uneveness in it's lighting. It can be there to a small extent on nearly all TFT's really, as it is down to the way they are contructed and their CCFL (cathode type) backlights they use. Some models suffer very bad bleeding though, most memorably the Dell 2005FPW which was always plagued by bad issues in this area. See here for pics and a bit more info on it.

- Will this damage the monitor in the long term?

not in any way. It's just down to build quality and so the way the panel and backlight cathodes are lined up is not quite right, and so they shine through more in some areas.

- Will a more powerful graphics card be needed for this monitor? If so, which are recommended?

it depends what you're using the screen for. High end gaming might require a good card to run at native 1680 x 1050 resolution, and certainly if you want to turn all the eye candy up. However, for desktop use, even the old cards can handle a nice high res fine. Check the graphics card section for advice on the cards though :)

- Does the monitor come with a DVI cable?

afaik, it does yes

- I understand the internal speakers aren’t too good and really need external ones for watching movies, etc.

all internal speakers in desktop TFT's tend to be pretty poor, fine for general "office noise" but not for anything better. Much better to get a nice set of speakers direct from your soundcard

- In case I don’t go for the VX2025, what are my 20” WS monitor alternatives?

plenty to choose from :) Check out this article as it should nicely round up all the options there are at the moment. The VX2025WM is a very good screen. The NEC LCD20WGX2, Belinea 102035W and Philips 200W6CS are all very popular right now. Plenty of threads on them too if you do a search. They are all very good all round screens suitable for nearly all uses.

- And 19” monitor alternatives (normal & WS)?

just depends what uses you want from the screen. The 19" market is a bit more saturated with TN Film panels, and the majority of the common models are based on fast, heavily overdriven, gaming based panels. The Viewsonic VX922 is a good bet if you want a gaming screen (this article might help if you want a gamers TFT). The Viewsonic VP930 is arguably one of the best all round TFT's in the market right now, so if you want a 19" model, and maybe want to stick with a 4:3 screen, this is a good choice for all round use. However, given the price, it would be a shame not to look at 20"WS models really. There's loads to choose from really, the stickies should also help you with the more popular and better models :)

I just want to be rest assured that I will make a right decision and have no regrets.

of course :D hope the above helps a bit, let me know if there are any more questions

Associate
OP
Thanks Baddass for your detailed feedback and providing the links.

FYI, gaming will not be my primary use for the PC, mainly internet, email and photo & (hopefully) movie editing.

The 20” NEC is probably over my price range, the Belinea is worth a look and so is the Philips except it has a slower response time of 16ms – still good though.

I think I’m still tempted to go for the VX2025 :) , I know I’m paying a premium for it atm (compared to the 19” monitors) but worth it if I’m to keep the same PC for some years. I like the idea of a WS monitor.

So I guess the backlit bleed issue may not be such a nuisance if I’m mainly using Office and Internet?

It’s amazing, I use a Compaq LCD monitor at work which is probably about 4 years old and even today it looks absolutely brilliant and it's been faultless. Just thought I’d mention it.

Man of Honour
spotting backlight bleeding is going to be harder if you're using it mainly for office, unless it is really severe (and we're talking RMA worthy severe here). The VX2025WM is a good choice, a very good all round screen and i agree that getting a 20"WS is maybe a better investment in the long run, you'll be grateful you got the bigger screen i'm sure. One thing to note, the Philips 200W6CS is actually the 8ms edition that OcUK has. I've raised this for the shop ppl to get changed.

Associate
Will a single gfx card like an X1900XT be able to run a resolution of 1680x1050 with some AA/AF in modern games? I'm gonna be building a Conroe system with 2GB DDR2 and an X1900XT, so I want to be able to put this system to good use with a good monitor. I was originally gonna go for a 19" but now I want the VX2025. Will it need sli/crossfire to run it at playable resolutions?

Associate
OP
I have been recommended the Sapphire ATI Radeon X800 GTO 256MB DDR3 TV-Out/DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-097-SP) for my PC build which includes the VX2025. I know very little about gfx cards :((

Will this be a suitable gfx card for the VX2025?

Do you have any other suggestions? if so, please give details so I can look it up.
Also, FYI the PC won't be used much for gaming but mainly for music, movies and general use.

Man of Honour
Big Dee said:
I have been recommended the Sapphire ATI Radeon X800 GTO 256MB DDR3 TV-Out/DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-097-SP) for my PC build which includes the VX2025. I know very little about gfx cards :((

Will this be a suitable gfx card for the VX2025?

Do you have any other suggestions? if so, please give details so I can look it up.
Also, FYI the PC won't be used much for gaming but mainly for music, movies and general use.

should be fine, certainly for all those uses and should handly a fair amount of gaming. Check the graphics card section though, might get more info about the card in there :)

Associate
Will a single gfx card like an X1900XT be able to run a resolution of 1680x1050 with some AA/AF in modern games? I'm gonna be building a Conroe system with 2GB DDR2 and an X1900XT, so I want to be able to put this system to good use with a good monitor. I was originally gonna go for a 19" but now I want the VX2025. Will it need sli/crossfire to run it at playable resolutions?

Depend s on what games you have...I play CSS at 1680x1050 6xAA and 16xAF and it looks smooth! But more demading games (oblivion and TR:L) you have to sacrifice a bit of AA and AF...still looks good though!

Back
Top Bottom