I'm allowed a bike!

Soldato
It's taken nearly 10 years, but on a day trip today we saw a group of bikers. One had a Ducati 916. It was lovely as always. And the Mrs actually commented "why don;t you get one of those?"!!!! :D

Ahahaha, the floodgates have opened!

Now do I go for the Ducati I've always dreamed of, or a Supermoto of some description (KTM most likely).

Any good pointers to look out for or general advice on either of these bikes?

ta

James

Soldato
I'm sure Desmo will chip in here with advice on Dukes. :cool:

If you are going for a Ducati, try and get as late a model as you can. Early 916's had a lot of electrical problems which were eventually ironed out by the time the later models came out.

I'd shoot for a 996 or 998 rather than an early 916 if I were you.

Also, and I'm kinda biased obviously, being a Mille owner myself, look into getting an Aprilia RSV. For some reason, the bottom has fallen out the market for the RSV and the RSV-R. You get one hell of a bike for your money if you go the Aprilia route. You can pick up an RSV-R 2002-2003 model for around the £4000 mark, maybe even less. That includes loads of top quality Ohlins tackle.

Its still an Italian V-Twin, but ( and no disrespect intended to any Duke owners ), is more reliable and cheaper to run than a 916/996/998.

Very quick and capable as I can testify. I've had mine for just over two years now and it still puts a HUGE grin on my face everytime I ride it. ;)

Soldato
I don't like Dukes much on the road, I find that my wrists get sore after a short while. On the track though, I adore them - I often swap my CBR1000RR with my mates 999 when we go on track days.

As for Aprilias, I've never ridden an Mille, only an RS250 but that was probably the most fun I've ever had on a bike. I love 2 strokes.

Soldato
OP
I think I'm erring towards a Supermoto.

The main reason I never bought a Duke (or any road bike for that matter) is that I'd more than likely end up wrapped around a lamp post.

Completely, totally different, but I do like the look of the KTM...

media

EDIT - any bike I get will be just as a toy. I won't be commuting or anything. I'll still have my car.

Soldato
OP
Burbleflop said:
What will the Missus say having given you permission to buy something like a 916 if you get one of them?

Pah, she won't even notice the difference!

I turned up one day with a YZ250F motocross bike I'd just bought. She went mad. I told her to wait, and started it up. After hearing it, she understood why I'd bought it.

That said, the Duke does sound awesome!

Oh, and I'd also argue that a Supermoto is safer (to her it won't look as dangerous!)

Permabanned
Cant belive your actually that much under the thumb lol :p But anyways im looking to get my first bike this summer! Good luck with your choice dude and ride safely! :D

Soldato
Buy a road bike. The moto's will be a real handfull on the motorways and bypasses. Duke's are a killer for their first service are they not (if you get a new one) and if you're in to doing a couple of track days then road bike it is ;) Saying that, I would imagain the KTM would be handier (sp?) for blurting across the fields when you need to get to the chippy in a rush :D

Associate
I'd go with the KTM, though it really depends what the roads are like round your way.
Round here, we have some cracking back lanes that really suit supermoto's. Big sports bikes cant be used to their full potential. Then again, get onto the Caton - Kirby lonsdale road and you can let rip with a sports bike since the road is quite open in places, with a fair few straights on it and some cracking sequence of bends.

Whats dealer support like on the KTM and how much would a service be compared to a 916?
Same goes for tires, cant see the KTM eating them at the same rate a 916 would.

Robb

Soldato
The larger KTM's are supposed to really good, the 950 Supermoto came 7th in Bike magazines top 50 bikes.

950supermoto.jpg

The Superduke came one place (16th) above the Ducati 999 (17th)

4692.jpg

Deffinately worth a look if you have a KTM dealer near you.

Last edited:
Soldato
Norbert666 said:
Is a Supermoto more dangerous/aggressive than a sports bike?

Depnds on the pilot that's in control of the bike tbh ;) Get yourself booked on a test ride if that's possible and see what you think then. The sit up 'n' beg bikes can be very comfy but it's the road bikes that put a smile on my face, so I'd always go for that option. That and the fact that I like to do the odd track day makes me a wee bit biased for the roadies ;)

Soldato
I've also taken the plunge and have booked a direct access course.

Althogh at the moment I'm not up with what makes a good bike, I really like the looks of the Triumph speed's.

speed-triple-2005_1050.jpg

Associate
How much experience do you have? I'm not sure you'll be ready for a Duke 916 or RSV mille.

Sports bikes are the way forward, all the others look rubbish, my opinion or course.

Soldato
My dad got a 916 from my mum for his 40th birthday about 10 years ago and adores it. It's still in spotless condition and looks as new, he takes such good care of it :) Stunning looking (and even better sounding) bikes :)

Associate
PeterNem said:
My dad got a 916 from my mum for his 40th birthday about 10 years ago and adores it. It's still in spotless condition and looks as new, he takes such good care of it :) Stunning looking (and even better sounding) bikes :)

I'll show this to my partner, see what happens.

Soldato
OP
Tdh1987 said:
How much experience do you have? I'm not sure you'll be ready for a Duke 916 or RSV mille.

Sports bikes are the way forward, all the others look rubbish, my opinion or course.

I've ridden 50 ccs and 125's since I was about 12 or 13 (I grew up in Holland and you can get them when you are 16. I'm 29 now)

Had a 250 4-stroke MX bike for about a year and a half.

So not that much road experience, but I know how to ride. I will do a crash course and get my licence in the next few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom