Which ~300gb hard drive?

Guv

Guv

Soldato
I'm after a new hard drive, around the 300gb mark.

Which make is best to go for at the moment?

Which drive is best value (gb/£)?

thanks

Permabanned
Then I would suggest getting a drive made by Seagate as they ALL come with 5 years warranty (except their external ones).
Fast, reliable, quite and reasonably priced and guaranteed to be working for 5 years! No other choice for a storage drive if you ask me!

Associate
this is what i have just got .there fantastic and very fast and there perpendicular :D

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB ST3320620AS SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (HD-078-SE)
The Barracuda 7200.10 is the largest, most reliable disc drive around. New perpendicular recording technology supports vertically stored data bits, enabling increased areal density and dependability for workstations and performance PCs.

- Capacity: 320 GB
- Speed: 7200 rpm
- Interface: SATA-II
- Cache: 16MB
- 5 year manufacturer''s warranty
- Direct warranty and RMA service available here

Price: £59.95 (£70.44 Including VAT at 17.5%)

Associate
Agreed. The new Seagate 7200.10 320Gb drive is currently IMHO unmatched. 16Mb cache, with new perpendicular recording allowing a whopping 166Mb/platter giving it a peak linear transfer rate rivaling that of a Raptor (though of course the access time is still slower.) At the pricepoint it's being sold, it's a steal.

Soldato
ByteJuggler said:
Agreed. The new Seagate 7200.10 320Gb drive is currently IMHO unmatched. 16Mb cache, with new perpendicular recording allowing a whopping 166Mb/platter giving it a peak linear transfer rate rivaling that of a Raptor (though of course the access time is still slower.) At the pricepoint it's being sold, it's a steal.

188gb/platter;) and yes, these drives are good for anything. They are current the fastest thing on sata you can buy that isnt a raptor, with a damn sight more storage as well (up to 750gb)

Guv

Guv

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure if there is a SATA connection which is why I was thinking about IDE. I'll need to check.

If I need to go for IDE, should I still get the .10 and a SATA to IDE adapter?

Associate
I never quite realised how good that drive is, and also how cheap they manage to seel them for, I thought that would be worth a lot more.

I must admit, im quite tempted to get rid of my 7200.7 120gig and replace it with this one, although im not sure what performance increase I would see?

Associate
From what I can see it looks like this is the best drive for multi-purpose usage or single usage, with a price that will be hard to beat anywhere, a very close 2nd to the more-pricey Raptor drives, and quieter.

Im tempted to ditch my 7200.7 120gig drive. Would I see much of a performance gain if I did that?

Back
Top Bottom