random reboots...

Soldato
Hi,

Built this system for a mate:

amd 3500
abit ul8 mobo
4 x 256mb RAM
nvidia 5200

Problem: the system randomly reboots...not all the time but occassionally...he could be playing a game, watching a film or just surfing....the system could run fine for days (dont mean he leaves it on for days but then suddenly it could reboot twice on the same day)...

Please could you help resolve this problem..

Thanks guys...

Cheers!!!

Soldato
OP
yeap thats one of the first things I told him to do he left it on for around 11 - 12 hours and never got any errors...

I feel so awful because I built it for him (F.O.C) thats besides the point however its not working 100%.....

wish I knew what it was...how random... :confused:

Permabanned
Random Reboots = RAM or PSU.

Even if memtest reports no errors with RAM, do not rule RAM out.

Have you told him to try it with just one stick and then two and so on until it starts crashing?

Associate
Is the PC overclocked at all or running standard clock speeds ?

Put the memory on a divider to lower the speed, see how that goes for a while .....
Trial and error is the key with random reboots :)

Deleted member 58846

D

Deleted member 58846

I had this problem, but the only thing is is I run everything at stock, even updated drivers updated bios e.t.c to ALL latest revisions. Went into the bios and looked carefully through every setting. Noted everything down and printed it out. I then changed my ram voltage to 2.7v from 2.6 stock which thats what the default stock bios option is. I have Gskill ram which loves volts. Upt it to 2.7 and my random reboots went. Hope this helps. Try stocking everything in the bios (reset bios), updated drivers / bios then up the core volts on ram to 2.7. Hope this helps. good luck

Soldato
OP
thanks for responses..

Even if memtest reports no errors with RAM, do not rule RAM out.
how does that work exactly??

Is the PC overclocked at all or running standard clock speeds ?

Sorry I forgot to mention the pc is not overclocked everything is running at stock..

Try stocking everything in the bios (reset bios), updated drivers / bios then up the core volts on ram to 2.7.

Have set the RAM volts to 2.7.....lets see what happens watch this space :)

thanks guys will report back either way to let you know how I got on :)

Permabanned
Well there might not actually be anything wrong with the RAM.. perhaps the motherboard doesn't like the RAM, the combination it's been put in or perhaps there are drivers conflicting with the RAM.

Deleted member 58846

D

Deleted member 58846

wait .................................................... 4 x 256mb RAM :confused:

Try 2 x 256 it could be an issue with 4 sticks of ram, I remember abit users having some problems with 4 sticks, sorry didnt see that when first read. Give it a go.

Associate
I used to have an Abit board that spat it's dummy when I had all the mem slots full - 4x512 Twin Mos. Used to either refuse to boot, or when it did, would hang or reboot after a given amount of time. Pulled the mem out and swapped the sticks around, with varying success. Flashed the BIOS, to the latest & greatest and it made no difference.
Returned the lot for testing (MB included), and it was found that the MB was faulty. Changed it for a Asus board, and used the original Ram, with no probs.

PC's - dont you just love' em .....

Back
Top Bottom