A legal question or two

Soldato
Disclaimer: I am not a pervert (important to get that crystal clear :D)

My neice is very nearly ten and plays football for a girls team on Saturday mornings.

I said to my sister that I would pop along occasionally and give her some support. My sister immediately said, *they* dont' allow photography so don't bring your camera :(

Now, I only want to get shots of my neice, I'm not interested in the other kids although they may obviously get into my shots due to the nature of the game.

The games are played in a public park.

The camera I was planning to use is just a Casio (small packet of cigs in size) not my 20D with huge lenses!

Can anybody legally STOP me from taking snapshots in a public park whilst having a legitimate reason for doing so? I understand the reasons *why* it may not be desirable but my human rights are just as important as anybody elses in my opinion.

Any input would be greatly received. :)

Soldato
I don't think they can legally stop you from taking pictures that are for personal use. But might be embarrising if they kick up a fuss.

Its a stupid rule IMO. I seriously doubt there are so many pedos that its really worth worrying about now, anymore then it was a few years ago. Also any pedo would still surely be able to covertly film or take pictures from a long distance away. It's only ever going to effect family members who want to take pictures of their children! Idiots.

Associate
In your position I would just respect your sisters wishes...watch the match, keep your camera at home. Or if you need to take some shots of your niece, do so after the match.

Soldato
Overlag said:
with the amount of pedos around i perfectly understand there stance on picture taking... even though it punishes you and everyone interested in sport.

I would keep to there wishes on no picture taking. :)

There are no more pedos now than there were 50 years ago, so that statement is very odd. Everyone is just more paranoid about them these days..

Personally I wouldn't take the risk of ******* anyone off. Annoying, but sad too :(

Soldato
They've started spouting this ****** at my sons football matches as well. Under the "you're all perverts guidlines" the **** football club does not allow photography unless all parents agree.

I used to take match photos for the other parents but I've stopped doing it as I will not "ask permission :rolleyes: " as it has no legal or logical standing at all :mad:

Soldato
I think if this was affecting me then I would go and talk to the organisers. If this way of thinking is going to be allowed to continue then anyone with a camera is going to be labelled a pedo!

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

mrgubby said:
They've started spouting this ****** at my sons football matches as well. Under the "you're all perverts guidlines" the **** football club does not allow photography unless all parents agree.

I used to take match photos for the other parents but I've stopped doing it as I will not "ask permission :rolleyes: " as it has no legal or logical standing at all :mad:

Precisely, the world is going completely barmy.

It's funny, because at my swimming club (which I coach, teach and am on the exec comittee at) the only restrictions on photographing at the pool are what the Leisure Centre put on you. And to get round this you simply sign a Photographic release form and off you go.

We've had a guy do the last couple of Club Championships, although this time I am hoping to get in on the act :)

^^ And you'd think this would be the worst out of them all!

Soldato
I've always thought of swimming pool restrictions to be different. Probably because I think it would annoy me if someone was photographing me in my trunks!

Still I'm quite lucky where I live, I work at a school and am encouraged to take as many pictures of the students as possible, they even pay me extra to do so!

Associate
whats to stop these "pervs" just going and watching and getting their jollies that way anyway? Having a camera would only give them a photo....nothing they can't remember in their head :confused:

Soldato
Personally, I'd take the camera and ask the parents before hand, assuring them that you can delete any photos of their children if they so wished, and even supply them with photos if they wanted.

Associate
Isn't it a sad ,sad world . You cannot go out with your cameras anymore without being called a pedo.... I was at a old friends house on Thursday ,she's moving from her house after 26 years and I asked her if she would like a video of her house and surrounding area to take with her down south . She loved the idea. She lives just on the outskirts of a park .I made a five minute video of the front ,side and garden of the house , scanned the entrance to the park and was videoing some swans on the river when all I heard in the background by three passing 13 or 14 year olds was the word pedo......... I didn't think anything of it ,but when I told Emily , who was actually about 20 feet away when I was filming , she was horrified .Nowadays it seem 's just to have a camera in puplic your labled a perv . As I say , how sad.

Associate
bah! as a male trainee primary teacher this winds me up sommat rotten

what the h*ll does it matter if you take a picture of a kid playing football?

how can we let the smallest percentage of sick individuals spoil the fun and enjoyment of football match.

this winds me up so much because i have to be so careful when teaching kids, i cant pat my hand on a childs back saying "well done [enter childs name] you've done really well today" in case of someone taking it the wrong way.

young children ask for hugs - if i allow it to happen and some irate parent sees it then i can be in a whole lot of bother, if i refuse the child then they feel worse than they did before they needed the hug!

one of the many reasons children don't see male teachers in the early years...

/rant over/

ask the club/owner/manager/coach if they would like an official photographer - then take your 20d down :) wouldnt be any bother to email them on mass to all the parents who wanted copies of them, and you get the shots you want

Soldato
Broadbandplacey said:
this winds me up so much because i have to be so careful when teaching kids, i cant pat my hand on a childs back saying "well done [enter childs name] you've done really well today" in case of someone taking it the wrong way.

young children ask for hugs - if i allow it to happen and some irate parent sees it then i can be in a whole lot of bother, if i refuse the child then they feel worse than they did before they needed the hug!

one of the many reasons children don't see male teachers in the early years...

Over the winter i was caring for children aged 3months to 11years old. During the first few days there were loads of orientation type talks and throughout all of these physical contact with the children was encouraged. They said if a child wants/needs a cuddle give them one! If your reading them a story let them sit on your lap if they want to. Above all they said they trust the staff that work there and you dont need to worry about how your actions are interpreted by others because of that trust.

There are still some sensible people out there! :)

At the moment i'm working with 11-18year olds so its not so much of an issue. If you tried to give em a cuddle you'd probably get bitten!

Soldato
OP
Well thanks for all your replies.

Sadly most of you have posted what I feared, as in don't risk it.

I'm certainly not going to ask peoples permission to take photographs when i'm concentrating on just my niece.

Somebody suggested taking photo's after the match, fair comment but the whole idea was to catch her concentration and sheer determination playing the game and the fun and excitement of her being part of it.

I'm sure most parents in a public situation wouldn't care less, but there is always the paranoid parent lurking somewhere out there and then a case of mob mentailty would probably take over. :mad:

Oh well, memories will be lost in the mists of time.

Thanks again guys :)

Soldato
I doubt any parent would say anything. It be some jobsworth organiser who little bit of power has gone to their head if anything. Mind you I bet there are more then a handfull of parents who think its a stupid rule! Use public opinion to beat em down!!!!

Soldato
seaviewuk said:
Oh well, memories will be lost in the mists of time.

Screw em. The way we're going we won't be able to have any pictures of our kids (not that I have any kids) as they grow up. Those early years are irreplaceable. Take your camera and get some nice pics. Hang around with your sister so if anyone does complain you can defend yourself. Take a copy of the photographers rights PDF too.

Soldato
cyKey said:
Screw em. The way we're going we won't be able to have any pictures of our kids (not that I have any kids) as they grow up. Those early years are irreplaceable. Take your camera and get some nice pics. Hang around with your sister so if anyone does complain you can defend yourself. Take a copy of the photographers rights PDF too.

I completely agree, heavy handed rule making only seems to harm the majoriy of law abiding citizens and who want to document family events, the fact is a peado is more likely to be hiding in the bushes or in the house opposite with a tele lens and stopping people taking pics isn't going to stop that which makes these sort of rules useles.

It's difficult though as if it was your own kid then i'd say stand your ground but as it's your neice and your sister said photogrpahy isn't allowed i'd be more reluctant to.

Back
Top Bottom